The name Sol itself derives from the word sol which in Spanish stands for sun and pays a tribute from one part to the Spanish roots of the brand and on the other part to renewable energy powered vehicles planned to make up its range. 
The Sol name comes as a compromise among all parts in a stance where the original plan included the direct use of the SEAT brand name with the Chinese local authorities negating in a change of mind and calling for a whole new local brand to be launched.
Recent lift of caps on foreign car makers controlling their electric vehicle joint ventures in China, however has pushed Volkswagen Group examining a buyout of their Chinese partner JAC Motors and subsequently their formed joint venture.
The Sol E20X ist the first car produced by Sol. The car is based on the JAC Refine S2, with a new front that is reminiscent to the front of a SEAT. The car is only available in China (at the moment). The car is only available as an electric viercle.
- "Beijing, April 24, 2018. new brand, SIHAO".
- "SEAT, Volkswagen Group's lead brand in China".
- "JAC launched a new car brand".
- "VW to reintroduce Seat in new energy, localization drive".
- "VW's Seat brand returns to China via backdoor".
- "This Is The JAC-Volkswagen SOL E20X Cheap Electric Car For China".
- "Volkswagen eyes big stake in China partner JAC, taps Goldman: sources".