Skypier (Chinese: 海天客運碼頭) is a cross-boundary ferry pier integrated within Hong Kong International Airport, Chek Lap Kok, New Territories, Hong Kong. It is operated by Hong Kong International Airport Ferry Terminal Services Limited, a joint-venture company between Chu Kong Passenger Transport Co., Ltd and Shun Tak-China Travel Ship Management Limited. At this pier, passengers abroad can transit from Hong Kong International Airport to piers in the Pearl River Delta of Guangdong Province or vice versa, without immigration and customs clearance through Hong Kong.
It was a local ferry pier called Chek Lap Kok Ferry Pier (赤鱲角渡���碼頭). It provided a ferry route to Tuen Mun, operated by New World First Ferry. But the route was cancelled and replaced by another route between Tuen Mun and Tung Chung New Development Ferry Pier in 2002, because the Hong Kong Airport Authority took back the pier for its own development. The route between Tuen Mun and Tung Chung ceased operation in 2008.
The pier is linked to the airport terminal by an extension of the Hong Kong International Airport Automated People Mover opened in December 2009, enabling travellers using the Skypier to avoid immigration and customs formalities at HKIA, cutting travel times.
Hong Kong Government agreed to consider the suggestion for Skypier to provide cross-boundary ferry services to non-transit passengers, in order to complement the development of Tung Chung by creating more business and job opportunities for the local communities. Located beside AsiaWorld Expo and Hong Kong Skycity Marriott Hotel, Skypier provides ferry services for transit passengers from Hong Kong International Airport. Architecture firm Aedas designed Skypier.
The plan to turn Skypier into a control point was nevertheless shelved.
The pier currently provides seven ferry routes to and from individual places in Pearl River Delta. Another one will be launched soon.
- Routes of Chu Kong Passenger Transport Co., Ltd
- Routes of TurboJET
- Routes of Cotai Jet
- Cross Boundary Ferry Transfer Service at a glance
- Tung Chung - Tuen Mun Ferry
- To and from the airport
- New ferry licences effective from July 1
- "Media Center - Press Release - Airport's New SkyPier and North Satellite Concourse Officially Opened". Media Release: Hong Kong International Airport. www.hongkongairport.com. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Point 26, Report of the Panel on Economic Services for submission to the Legislative Council, LC Paper No. CB(1)2030/06-07
- Hong Kong Skycity Marriott Hotel
- "Project Page: Hong Kong International Airport – SkyPier". Aedas.com.
- Press Release: LCQ18: SkyPier ferry services, March 9, 2011, info.gov.hk
- Hong Kong International Airport Transportation
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SkyPier.|