Sir William Lewis, 1st Baronet (26 March 1598 – November 1677) of Llangorse, Brecon and Bordean House, East Meon, Hampshire, supported the Parliamentary cause during the English Civil War. He sat in the House of Commons variously between 1640 and 1677.
Lewis was the son of Lodowick Lewis of Trewalter, and his wife, a daughter of William Watkins of Llangorse. He was created Baronet of Llangorse on 14 September 1628 and was High Sheriff of Breconshire for 1619 and 1636.
In April 1640, Lewis was elected Member of Parliament for Petersfield in the Short Parliament. He was re-elected MP for Petersfield in November 1640 for the Long Parliament, where he sat until he was excluded under Pride's Purge. He was Parliamentary Governor of Portsmouth for 1642–43.
Lewis died at the age of 79. He had married Mary, the daughter of Robert Calton of Goring, Oxfordshire and the widow of Sir Thomas Neale of Warnford, Hampshire. He had one son, who predeceased him, and two daughters. The title thus became extinct.
- Nicholas 1872, p. 105.
- Willis 1750, p. 235.
- Willis 1750, p. 249.
- History in Portsmouth - Governors of Portsmouth Archived 22 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 5)
- "LEWIS, Sir William, 1st Bt. (1598-1677), of Llangorse, Brec. and Bordean House, East Meon, Hants". History of Parliament Trust. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Nicholas, Thomas (1872). Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales. 1. London: Longmans, Green, Reader. p. 105.
- Willis, Browne (1750). Notitia Parliamentaria, Part II: A Series or Lists of the Representatives in the several Parliaments held from the Reformation 1541, to the Restoration 1660 ... London. pp. 235, 249.
- Helms, M. W.; Watson, Paula (1983), "Lewis, Sir William, 1st Bt. (1598-1677), of Llangorse, Brec. and Bordean House, East Meon, Hants.", in Henning, B.D. (ed.), The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1660-1690, Boydell and Brewer
|Parliament of England|
Parliament suspended since 1629
| Member of Parliament for Petersfield
With: William Uvedale
Col. Philip Jones
| Member of Parliament for Breconshire
Sir Henry Williams, 2nd Baronet
| Member of Parliament for Lymington
With: John Bulkeley 1661–1662
Sir Nicholas Steward, 1st Baronet 1663–1677
Sir Richard Knight
Sir Nicholas Steward, 1st Baronet
|Baronetage of England|
|New creation|| Baronet