Sir John was born at Pinkie House on 13 April 1781, the oldest son of Sir Archibald Hope, 9th Baronet and his second wife, Elizabeth Patoun (d. 1818), the daughter of John Patoun of Inveresk. He succeeded to the baronetcy on the death of his unmarried half-brother, Sir Thomas Hope, 10th Baronet. The Hope Baronetcy of Craighall in the County of Fife, was created in the Baronetage of Nova Scotia on 19 February 1628 for Thomas Hope, a Scottish lawyer and advisor to Charles I.
Sir John was first elected as a Conservative Member of Parliament for Midlothian in June 1845 upon the retirement of William Ramsay Ramsay, Esq.. He was re-elected without opposition in 1847 and 1852. He was also a Vice-Lieutenant for the county.
- Sir Archibald Hope, 12th Baronet
- Sir John David Hope, 13th Baronet
- Thomas Hope, b. 10 July 1810, Rear Admiral Royal Navy, d. 31 August 1867
- Hugh Hope, b. 3 June 1813 and d. 15 August 1876
- General Sir William Hope, 14th Baronet
- James Wedderburn Hope, b. 4 September 1823, 26th Bombay Native Infantry, d. 9 June 1846
- Sir Alexander Hope, 15th Baronet
- Rev. Charles Augustus Hope, M.A., Rector of Barwick-in-Elmet and Honorary Canon of Ripon Cathedral, b. 7 August 1827 and d. 30 December 1898; father of Sir John Augustus Hope, 16th Baronet
- Alicia, d. unmarried 29 January 1887
- Elizabeth, d. unmarried 4 March 1890
Sir John died on at his son Hugh's Hyde Park residence. Sir John and his wife are buried in the Hope Baronets plot at St. Michael's Parish Church, Inveresk, Scotland. An adjacent plot holds the graves of many of Sir John's family.
- "Peerage and Baronetage". Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire. Burke's Peerage Limited. 1914. pp. 1034–1035. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Sylvanus Urban (July 1853). THE GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE. p. 90. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
Sir John Hope, Bart., M.P.
- "Creations by Charles I; Hope". Complete Baronetage: English, Irish and Scottish, 1625-1649. W. Pollard & Company, Limited. 1902. pp. 343–345. Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- Edward Cave (October 1867). The Gentleman's Magazine, and Historical Chronicle, for the Year ..., Volume 223. Edward Cave, John Nichols. p. 544. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
Rear-Admiral Thomas Hope
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
William Ramsay Ramsay
| Member of Parliament for Midlothian
1845 – 1853
William Montagu Douglas Scott, 6th Duke of Buccleuch
|Baronetage of Nova Scotia|