Gladstone was the son of the Reverend Stephen Edward Gladstone and Annie Crosthwaite Wilson, and the grandson of the former Prime Minister, William Ewart Gladstone. As a ten-year-old, he attended William Gladstone's state funeral. He was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford. He was a Master at Eton College from 1912 to 1946, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Territorial Force in 1912, attached to Eton's Officer Training Corps unit. He fought in World War I, and was attached to the Royal Flying Corps from April 1915. On being captured, he became a POW. After the war, he continued to serve with the Eton OTC until 1924 when he resigned his commission and was granted the honorary rank of lieutenant. Gladstone married Isla Margaret Crum, the daughter of Sir Walter Erskine Crum, on 3 January 1925. They had six children, the oldest of whom was Sir Erskine William Gladstone of Fasque and Balfour, the 7th Baronet. Another son, Peter, was a noted naturalist.
Gladstone became a Deputy Lieutenant of Hampshire in 1929, and was the Vice-Lieutenant between 1948 and 1968, and was a Justice of the Peace (JP) for Flintshire. He held the office of High Sheriff of Flintshire in 1951. In 1955 he was appointed a Commander of the Venerable Order of Saint John.
He succeeded to the title of 6th Baronet Gladstone, of Fasque and Balfour on 2 March 1967, following the death of his older brother, Sir Albert Charles Gladstone, the 5th Baronet. Having proved his claim to the baronetcy he did not use the title.
His son inherited the Baronetage under the appellation of Sir William Gladstone, 7th Baronet.
- Melville Henry de Massue (1994). The Blood Royal of Britain. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub Co. ISBN 0-8063-1431-1.
- "No. 26980". The London Gazette. 22 June 1898. p. 3845.
- "No. 28668". The London Gazette. 3 December 1912. p. 9222.
- "No. 29627". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 1916. p. 6055.
- "No. 31941". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 June 1920. p. 6567.
- "No. 32516". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 November 1921. p. 9015.
- "No. 32984". The London Gazette. 21 October 1924. p. 7593.
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition volume 2, page 1558.
- "No. 33453". The London Gazette. 1 January 1929. p. 71.
- "No. 38289". The London Gazette. 14 May 1948. p. 2935.
- "No. 39175". The London Gazette. 16 March 1951. pp. 1428–1429.
- "No. 40529". The London Gazette. 5 July 1955. p. 3882.
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
Sir Albert Gladstone, 5th Baronet
Sir William Gladstone, 7th Baronet
|This biography of a baronet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|