This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Simone Lange in 2018
|Mayor of Flensburg|
|Assumed office |
15 January 2017
|Preceded by||Simon Faber|
|Member of the Landtag of Schleswig-Holstein |
6 May 2012 – 15 January 2017
|Preceded by||Susanne Herold|
|Succeeded by||Heiner Dunckel|
|Born||24 October 1976|
Rudolstadt, Bezirk Gera, East Germany
Early life and career
Lange grew up in Rudolstadt and completed her Abitur in 1995. After completing a polytechnic degree in 1998 (Dipl.-Verwaltungsfachwirtin (police division)), she was employed at the criminal investigation department in Flensburg from 1999 until 2012.
Lange joined the Social Democratic Party (SPD) in 2003 and held multiple positions in the party. She was part of Flensburg council from 2008 until 2012. She was a direct candidate for the Schleswig-Holstein state election in 2012.
In the SPD faction of the Schleswig-Holstein Landtag, she was spokesperson for police policy and equality.
She held the position of acting chair of the select committee for home and legal affairs and acting member of the social and health select committee. During her political tenure, she took a stand for labelling requirements of police officers and the introduction of a police representative.
On 28 July 2015, it was announced that Lange would run against incumbent Simon Faber of the South Schleswig Voters' Association for the 2016 Flensburg mayor elections. She was backed by the SPD, Bündnis Alliance 90/The Greens and the Christian Democratic Union.[who?]
Lange took office as mayor of Flensburg in January 2017.
In February 2018, she stood for the leadership of the SPD. She was defeated at the party conference - which was held in Wiesbaden on 22 April 2018 - by Andrea Nahles, winning 27% of the vote to Nahles's 66%. In the 2019 SPD leadership election, she announced her intention to run for the position again, this time together with Alexander Ahrens; shortly after, both withdrew their candidacies and instead endorsed Norbert Walter-Borjans and Saskia Esken.
- Nord-Ostsee Sparkasse, Ex-Officio Member of the Supervisory Board
- Nikolaus Reiser Foundation, Ex-Officio Member of the Board
- Trade Union of the Police (GdP), Member
- Statistisches Amt für Hamburg und Schleswig Holstein: Landtagswahl 2012: Wahlkreis 03/Flensburg: Erststimmen
- Landtagswahl Schleswig-Holstein 2012 – Endergebnis - Wahlkreis 03/Flensburg – Erststimmen
- Grüne wollen Polizeibeauftragten, Kieler Nachrichten vom. 7 November 2015.
- Ostthüringische Zeitung 6. Juni 2016: Gebürtige Rudolstädterin ist neue Oberbürgermeisterin von Flensburg
- Ostthüringer Zeitung 7. Juni 2016: Ehemalige Rudolstädterin feiert Wahlsieg in Flensburg
- Stadt Flensburg: Oberbürgermeisterin Simone Lange
- Flensburger Rebellin fordert SPD heraus - NDR
- tagesschau.de. "SPD-Parteitag: Neue Chefin, neuer Plan". tagesschau.de (in German). Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- Lange und Ahrens erreichen nötige Unterstützung Der Spiegel, 27 August 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simone Lange.|