|Born||28 February 1952|
|Occupation(s)||Journalist, author, songwriter, entertainer|
During the 1970s he e was a news anchor and a travelling journalist for AVRO radio and television. In the early 1980s he became the U.S. Bureau Chief for Dutch and Belgium radio and TV in New York and for several newspapers and weeklies.
Prior to the first Gulf War (1991) he produced the video Shalom from Holland with director Ralph Inbar and film maker Floris Sijbesma, as a token of solidarity to the Israeli people who were threatened by missiles fired from Iraq. Among the performing singers and musicians were George Baker, Joe Bourne, Adèle Bloemendaal, Ruud Bos, Marco Borsato, Ted de Braak, Jaap Dekker, Lex Goudsmit, Donald Jones, Caroline Kaart, Ben Cramer, Lenny Kuhr, Thijs van Leer, Donna Lynton, Maggie MacNeal, Harry Sacksioni and Daniël Wayenberg. Hammelburg co-wrote the song with Ron Klipstein. With Inbar and Sijbesma, he received an award by the Knesset.
Hammelburg co-authored Mijn Jodendom (‘My Judaism’) and wrote Kaddisj voor Daisy (1996) and Broken on the inside - The war never ended (Aerial Media 2014), based on 1200 interviews with Holocaust survivors and their children, providing insights into the traumas of the first and post-war generations of Holocaust victims. The interviews were made during a campaign to help American Jews and other individuals file claims for property they lost during the nazi era in what was to become East Germany.
- Mijn Jodendom (co-author), J.N. Voorhoeve, The Hague, 1980
- Kaddisj voor Daisy: Herinneringen van holocaust-overlevenden en hun kinderen, Kok, Kampen, 1996
- Broken on the inside - The war never ended, Aerial Media Company, 2014 (reprint: Aspekt, Soesterberg, 2018)
- Van binnen is alles stuk: Herinneringen van vernielde generaties, (Dutch adaptation of Broken on the inside), Aerial Media Company, 2014 (reprint: Aspekt, Soesterberg, 2018)
- Het voorgesprek, Aspekt, Soesterberg, 2017
- Ons Jodendom (co-author), Uitgeverij Ipenburg, Elburg, 2017
- Simon Hammelburg Theater Encyclopedie
- Interview with Simon Hammelburg in Nieuw Israëlitisch Weekblad ("New Israelite Weekly"), 23 November 2014
- Profile on Simon Hammelburg in Joods Actueel ("Jewish Current"), June 2017
- Simon Hammelburg Beeld & Geluid AVRO
- Beeld & Geluid KRO TV from New York.
- Simon Hammelburg (co-author), Ons Jodendom, Elburg, 2017, p. 120-121.
- Review of Kaddisj voor Daisy in daily newspaper Trouw, 14 February 1997
- Review of Kaddisj voor Daisy in daily newspaper NRC Handelsblad, 31 January 1997
- 2 Wage Campaign to Aid Victims of Nazis : Compensation: They are helping Americans file claims for property that they or their families forfeited when they fled Hitler's forces