Faber graduated 1987 from the Danish highschool in Flensburg, having achieved his Abitur. After military service, he studied at the University of Aarhus and at The Royal Academy of Music in the Danish town Aarhus. Having worked for a Danish publisher for some time, he became the director's intendant of Danmarks Radio radio orchestra from 2002 to 2004.
In May 2010, the Südschleswigsche Wählerverband nominated him as a candidate for the mayoral election of Flensburg on October 31, 2010. In the first round of election he was second to Elfi Heesch (CDU[clarification needed] und Bündnis 90/Die Grünen, 25.1%) with 19.4% of the votes and before Thede Boysen (SPD,[clarification needed] 18.2%). During the second round of election on November 21, 2010, he won (with 54.8%) through Elfi Heesch (45.2%).
Faber thinks that Flensburg's location at the Danish border is the town's biggest chance. That's why he wants to cooperate with Denmark more than ever before. For example, he argued in favour of the election of Sønderborg as Kulturhauptstadt Europas in 2017, which would have included Sønderjylland (Northern Schleswig) as well as Southern Schleswig, and thus Flensburg. Together with Denmark, he wants to make the region attractive for regional politics again, to prevent the imminent closing of the Flensburg grounds of the Landestheater or the JVA. Apart from that, Faber wants to achieve a „sustainable, transparent strategy for the Stadtwerke“.
- "Einblick - Faber Verbindet (Lebenslauf auf Fabers Internetseite)" [Insight - Connects Faber (Faber's resume on website)]. simon-faber.de (in German). September 7, 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-11-24. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- Endergebnis des ersten Wahlgangs Archived 2012-07-08 at Archive.today
- Vorläufiges Endergebnis des zweiten Wahlgangs Archived 2012-07-10 at Archive.today In Schleswig-Holstein treten nur die beiden Bestplatzierten des ersten Wahlgangs im zweiten Wahlgang erneut an.
- Bericht des Flensburger Tagesblatts zum Wahlausgang, retrieved, 14 February 2011
- Flensburger Tageblatt: „Wir müssen über Bande spielen“, 25. November 2010 Archived 2012-09-11 at Archive.today
- Flensburger Tageblatt: „Sie hinterlassen uns eine gute Stadt“, 10. Januar 2011