Colonel Sidney Godolphin (1652–1732) of Thames Ditton, Surrey was a British Army officer and politician who sat in the English and British House of Commons for over 40 years (non-continuously) between 1685 and 1737.
Godolphin came from a Cornish family and was the only surviving son of John Godolphin, judge of the Admiralty court, of St. Thomas's, near Launceston, Cornwall and St. James's, Clerkenwell.
The Godolphin family had held a long lease of Scilly since the late 16th century. He was Lieutenant-governor of The Isles of Scilly from 1690 and Governor for life from 1700. He was also Auditor of the Revenues in Wales.
Godolphin was returned as Member of Parliament for Helston in 1685 and held the seat until 1687. He was returned as MP for Penryn in 1690 and held the seat until 1695. In 1698 he was elected again as MP for Helston which he held until 1713. He was also returned at West Looe in 1702 but chose to stay at Helston. He regained the seat at Helston in 1715 but in 1722 changed to St Mawes. In 1727 he was returned instead for St Germans which he held until his death. He served in Parliament long enough to become 'Father of the House'.
- "He spent his time in arms till his state of health, requiring ease and quiet, made him quit a military life, but not the service of his Country, which he represented in Parliament near fifty years, and died Father of the House. It was his felicity to be valued and countenanced by his Sovereign, esteemed and loved by his friends and relations..."
Godolphin died at the age of 81 in 1732. He has a portrait-bust on his memorial, erected by his youngest daughter Ellen, in The Lady Chapel of St Nicholas Church.
He was married to Susannah Tannat; they had one son:
- Tannat Godolphin
and five daughters
- Penelope, who married Francis Hoblyn
- "GODOLPHIN, Sidney II (1652-1732), of Broniarth, Mont. and Thames Ditton, Surr". History of Parliament Online (1660-1690). Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "GODOLPHIN, Sidney (1652-1732), of Abertanat, Salop and Thames Ditton, Surr". History of Parliament Online (1690-1715). Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "GODOLPHIN, Sidney (1652-1732), of Thames Ditton, Surr". History of Parliament Online (1715-1754). Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- Philip J Burchett (1984). A Historical Sketch of THAMES DITTON. Surrey: Thames Ditton and Weston Green Residents' Association. ISBN 0-904811-20-4.
- TS Mercer (1970). More THAMES DITTON Tales and Scandals. Surrey: Ditton's Historical Research Society. ISBN 0-9501256-0-1.
|This Cornwall article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of England (up to 1707) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|