|Shire of Towong|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||0.90697/km2 (2.3490/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||18 November 1994|
|Area||6,675 km2 (2,577.2 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr David Wortmann|
|Website||Shire of Towong|
The Shire of Towong is a local government area in the Hume region of Victoria, Australia, located in the north-east part of the state. It covers an area of 6,675 square kilometres (2,577 sq mi) and in June 2018 had a population of 6,054.
It includes the towns of Corryong, Tallangatta, Cudgewa, Bethanga, Bellbridge, Walwa and Tintaldra. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Tallangatta and Shire of Upper Murray.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Towong Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Tallangatta, it also has a service centre located in Corryong. The Shire is named after an earlier shire, the Shire of Towong (1874–1920), which occupied the same region as the current LGA.
The council is composed of five councillors elected to represent an unsubdivided municipality.
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Tallangatta Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Tallangatta, and its service centre in Corryong.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S87 of 1994: Order estg (Part 2) the Shire of Towong". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 18 November 1994). p. 3. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Towong Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- Towong Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|