|Shire of Mulgrave|
Location within Queensland
|Population||54,783 (1991 census)|
|• Density||31.8821/km2 (82.5742/sq mi)|
|Area||1,718.3 km2 (663.4 sq mi)|
|Region||Far North Queensland|
The Shire of Mulgrave was a local government area surrounding the City of Cairns in the Far North region of Queensland. The shire, administered from Cairns, covered an area of 1,718.3 square kilometres (663.4 sq mi), and existed as a local government entity from 1879 until 1995, when it was dissolved and amalgamated into the City of Cairns.
With the passage of the Local Authorities Act 1902, the Cairns Division became the Shire of Cairns on 31 March 1903. Originally based in the town of Gordonvale, which historically was called Mulgrave, its offices were located at Cairns Esplanade, Cairns.
The character of the Shire changed over time, and by the time of the 1991 census, 88% of the Shire's population resided within Cairns's metropolitan area. On 21 November 1991, the Electoral and Administrative Review Commission, created two years earlier, produced its second report, and recommended that local government boundaries in the Cairns area be rationalised, and that the Shire of Mulgrave be abolished and absorbed into the City of Cairns. The Local Government (Cairns, Douglas, Mareeba and Mulgrave) Regulation 1994 was gazetted on 16 December 1994. On 22 March 1995, the Shire was abolished and became part of the new City of Cairns.
Towns and localities
The Shire of Mulgrave included the following settlements:
Cairns Division (1880–1903)
The chairmen of the Cairns Division were: 
|Simon Louis Loeven||1880–1881|
|William Peter Redden||1882|
|Richard Ash Kingsford||1885|
|Jean Baptiste Loridan||1885|
|Hamilton Thorncliffe S. Douglas||1885–1886|
|Richard A. Tills||1890|
|William Henry Swallow||1893–1897|
|William John Munro||1898–1902|
Shire of Cairns (1903–1940)
Chairmen of the Shire of Cairns were:
|William John Munro||1902–1911|
|George Russell Mayers||1912–1918|
|Seymour Herbert Warner||1919–1929|
|Wilfred Mylchreest Simmonds||1930–1935|
|John Albert Martin||1936–1940|
Shire of Mulgrave (1940–1995)
The chairmen of the Shire of Mulgrave were:
|John Albert Martin||1940–1941|
|Jim P. Tully||1941–1944|
|William Charles (Bill) Griffin||1944–1951|
|Charles E. Campbell||1952–1963|
|George Kenneth Alley||1964–1979|
|Thomas Alfred Pyne||1979–1995|
In addition to the chairmen, other notable people associated with the shire include:
- Bunny Adair, Member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for Cook who was a Mulgrave Shire councillor from 1939 to 1946
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1993). 2730.3 Census counts for small areas : Queensland. ISBN 0-642-17236-6.
- "Proclamation [Cairns Division constituted]". Queensland Government Gazette. 11 November 1879. p. 25:1008.
- "Agency ID 2090, Cairns Divisional Board". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Proclamation [Cairns & Douglas Divisions]". Queensland Government Gazette. 5 June 1880. p. 26:1317-1318.
- "Proclamation [Tinaroo Division constituted]". Queensland Government Gazette. 10 September 1881. p. 29:564.
- "Borough of Cairns: Order in Council". Queensland Government Gazette. 30 May 1885. p. 36:1733.
- "Borough of Cairns: Order in Council". Queensland Government Gazette. 5 December 1885. p. 37:2017.
- "Agency ID 89, Cairns Municipal Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Agency ID 1180, Cairns Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Agency ID 319, Barron Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Agency ID 1429, Mulgrave Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Mulgrave Shire Council Chambers (former) (entry 601913)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Cairns & Great Barrier Reef's Official Tourism Site". tropicalnorthqueensland.org.au. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Chairmen of the Cairns Divisional Board" (PDF). Cairns Heritage Page. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Cairns Divisional Board". Cairns Post (Qld. : 1884 – 1893). Qld.: National Library of Australia. 6 August 1885. p. 2. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Chairmen of the Cairns Shire Council" (PDF). Cairns Heritage Page. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Chairmen of the Mulgrave Shire Council" (PDF). Cairns Heritage Page. Retrieved 19 February 2014.