|Shire of Indigo|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||8.083/km2 (20.94/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||18 November 1994|
|Area||2,040 km2 (787.6 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Jenny O'Connor|
|Website||Shire of Indigo|
The Shire of Indigo, a local government area (LGA) in the Hume region of Victoria, Australia, lies in the north-east part of the state. It covers an area of 2,040 square kilometres (790 sq mi) and on June 2018 had a population of 16,490.
It includes the towns of Beechworth, Chiltern, Rutherglen and Yackandandah. It formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Rutherglen, Shire of Chiltern, Shire of Yackandandah and United Shire of Beechworth.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Indigo Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Beechworth, it also has service centres located in Chiltern, Rutherglen and Yackandandah. The Shire is named after the Indigo Valley and Indigo Creek, geographical features that meander through the LGA and into the Murray River.
As of 22 September 2016, the council is composed of seven councillors elected to represent an unsubdivided municipality.
|Unsubdivided||Jenny O'Connor||Mayor, Member of the Greens|
|Sophie Price||Deputy Mayor|
The makeup of the Council is as follows:
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Beechworth Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Beechworth, and its service centres in Chiltern, Rutherglen and Yackandandah.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S87 of 1994: Order estg (Part 3) the Shire of Indigo". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 18 November 1994). p. 3. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "BankWest Quality of Life Index 2008" (PDF). BankWest Quality of Life Index 2008. BankWest. 20 August 2008. p. 8. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 February 2009. Retrieved 3 September 2008.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Indigo Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Jenny the region's first Green". The Border Mail. 29 October 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- VEC. "Results for Indigo Shire Council Elections 2012". Victorian Electoral Commission. Victorian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 31 October 2012.