Shining Knight (Welsh: Marchog Disglair) is the name of multiple fictional superheroes appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. The original version was created by Creig Flessel and first appeared in Adventure Comics #66 (September 1941).
Fictional character biography
During DC's "Silver Age" crossover event (not to be confused with the actual Silver Age of Comic Books), Dick Giordano and Geoff Johns created a new Seven Soldiers of Victory to fight an Injustice League that had possessed the bodies of the Justice League of America.
Gardner Grayle, who would later become the Atomic Knight, took an experimental suit of armor and called himself Shining Knight for this one mission. This version of the Seven Soldiers with Batgirl, Deadman, Metamorpho, Blackhawk, Adam Strange and Mento only served in one mission and the Shining Knight armor was destroyed.
In the 1996 miniseries Kingdom Come, there is a background character named Shining Knight II. This version is more futuristic than his predecessors and comes with a giant, metal dragon named Dragonknight.
JLA: Another Nail
In other media
- A variation of Gardner Grayle appears in the live-action series Black Lightning, portrayed by Boone Platt.
- Silver Age #2. DC Comics.
- Cowsill, Alan; Irvine, Alex; Manning, Matthew K.; McAvennie, Michael; Wallace, Daniel (2019). DC Comics Year By Year: A Visual Chronicle. DK Publishing. p. 303. ISBN 978-1-4654-8578-6.
- Kingdom Come #3. DC Comics.
- Teen Titans #52. DC Comics.
- JLA: Another Nail #2. DC Comics.
- "Black Lightning / Characters / Sergeant Gardner Grayle". TVMaze. Retrieved December 9, 2019.
- Zalban, Alex (May 19, 2020). "'DC's Stargirl' Boss Geoff Johns Explains What Changed From The Original "Pilot"". Decider. Archived from the original on May 23, 2020. Retrieved May 23, 2020.
- Damore, Meagan (June 30, 2020). "Stargirl Basically Confirmed Justin the Janitor's Secret Identity". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on July 1, 2020. Retrieved July 1, 2020.
- Shining Knight (Sir Justin) at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)
- Shining Knight (Gardner Grayle) at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)
- Shining Knight (Sir Ystin) at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)
- The Shining Knight at Don Markstein's Toonopedia. Archived from the original on October 25, 2011.
- Earth-2 Shining Knight Index
|← The character Johnny Quick was debuted by Mort Weisinger. See Johnny Quick (Johnny Chambers) for more info and the previous timeline.|| Timeline of DC Comics (1940s)
September 1941 (See also: Shining Knight (Sir Justin))
|The characters Lieutenant Marvels were debuted by C.C. Beck. See Lieutenant Marvels for more info and next timeline. →|