Sheila Nunan is General Secretary of the Irish National Teachers' Organisation and President of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions. She has been a member of the executive of the INTO since 1995 and was INTO President in 2005-2006. Sheila Nunan was the first woman to hold the role of General Secretary in the trade union's 150 year history.
In 2006 Nunan was elected Deputy General Secretary/General Treasurer and served in that role until her election as General Secretary in 2009.
She will stand for the Labour Party in the Ireland South constituency at the 2019 European Parliament election in Ireland. Her selection attracted controversy as she lives in County Dublin, which is not part of the South constituency. Her team replied that she lives near the border with County Wicklow and her parents are from County Kerry, both located in the South constituency.
- "Taking INTO into the breach". irishtimes.com. The Irish Times. 6 April 2010.
- "Congress Committees » About Congress » Congress". ictu.ie. Irish Congress of Trade Unions. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- Flynn, Sean (16 April 2009). "INTO appoints its first female general secretary after 141 years". irishtimes.com. The Irish Times. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "FG's Doyle selected to run in European elections". irishexaminer.com. Irish Examiner. 4 March 2019.
- "Nunan defends constituency links after ex-TD's online posts". Independent.ie. Independent News & Media. 7 May 2019.
|Trade union offices|
| General Secretary of the Irish National Teachers' Organisation
| President of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions