This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Full name||Shayne Burgess|
|Born||1 June 1964|
Hastings, East Sussex, England
|Home town||Hastings, East Sussex|
|Playing darts since||1978|
|Walk-on music||"Place Your Hands" by Reef|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|BDO majors – best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 32: 1994|
|World Masters||Quarter Final: 1993|
|PDC premier events – best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Semi Final: 1999|
|World Matchplay||3rd Place: 1994|
|World Grand Prix||Runner Up: 1999, 2000|
|UK Open||Runner Up: 2003|
|Other tournament wins|
|BDO Gold Cup|
Witch City Open
Ireland Spring Classic
|Nine dart finish at Eastbourne Open, 2001|
|Updated on 16 April 2019.|
Burgess reached the quarter finals of the British Open in 1992 and the quarter-finals of the Winmau World Masters in 1993. Burgess switched to the PDC (then known as the WDC), and reached the semi finals of the 1994 World Matchplay in his first televised event in the WDC.
He reached the semi finals of the 1999 PDC World Championship, when he lost a 4-5 in to Peter Manley, and the quarter finals of the 2000 PDC World Championship. Burgess also finished as runner-up in both the 1999 and 2000 World Grand Prixs, losing to Phil Taylor in both finals.
Aside from achieving a 9-dart finish at the Eastbourne Pro event in February 2001, Burgess' form declined for a couple of years after his 1998-2000 peak. However, Burgess then suddenly reached the final of the inaugural UK Open in 2003, again losing to Taylor.
Return to BDO
In 2008, after years of a big decline in his form, Burgess left the PDC circuit. In 2011, Burgess was playing on the BDO circuit, and he hit the second 9-dart finish of his career in September 2012, during a Sussex Super League game. Burgess continues to play for the Hastings team of the Sussex Superleague's East Division, along with fellow former PDC player Adrian Gray.
World Championship Results
- 1994: 1st Round (lost to Steve McCollum 0-3)
- 1995: Last 24 group (lost to Eric Bristow 0–3 and lost to Rod Harrington 2–3)
- 1996: Last 24 group (lost to Phil Taylor 0–3 and beat Cliff Lazarenko 3–1)
- 1997: Last 24 group (beat Rod Harrington 3–2 and lost to Sean Downs 1–3)
- 1998: Quarter Final (lost to Phil Taylor 0–4)
- 1999: Semi Final (lost to Peter Manley 4–5)
- 2000: Quarter Final (lost to Dennis Priestley 4–5)
- 2001: 1st Round (lost to Roland Scholten 0–3)
- 2002: 2nd Round (lost to Phil Taylor 1–6)
- 2003: 2nd Round (lost to Roland Scholten 1–4)
PDC major finals: 3 (3 runners-up)
|World Grand Prix (0–2)|
|UK Open (0–1)|
|Outcome||No.||Year||Championship||Opponent in the final||Score|
|Runner-up||1.||1999||World Grand Prix||Phil Taylor||1–6 (s)|
|Runner-up||2.||2000||World Grand Prix||Phil Taylor||1–6 (s)|
|Runner-up||3.||2003||UK Open||Phil Taylor||8–18 (l)|
|BDO World Championship||DNQ||L32||No longer a BDO Member||DNQ|
|Winmau World Masters||L32||QF||DNP||L32||DNP||L272||DNP||L32|
|PDC World Championship||NYF||DNP||L24G||L24G||L24G||QF||SF||QF||L32||L16||L32||DNP|
|World Grand Prix||Not yet founded||SF||RU||RU||L16||DNQ||DNP|
|UK Open||Not held||RU||L128||DNP||L96||DNP||L128||DNP|
|News of the World||Not held||L32||Not held|
|Performance Table Legend|
|DNP||Did not play at the event||DNQ||Did not qualify for the event||NYF||Not yet founded||L#||lost in the early rounds of the tournament|
(WR = Wildcard round, RR = Round robin)
|QF||lost in the quarter-finals||SF||lost in the semi-finals||RU||lost in the final||W||won the tournament|
- "Burgess Among UK Open Qualifiers". Professional Darts Corporation. 22 April 2012. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "Brilliant Burgess hits nine darter". Bexhill Observer. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "PDC World Championships". Shayne Burgess. Darts Database. Retrieved 11 October 2014.