This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Levy in 2014
|Born||1961 (age 57–58)|
New York City, United States
|Occupation||Film critic, author|
Shawn Anthony Levy (born 1961) is an American film critic, author and blogger. Born in New York City, and educated at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of California, Irvine, Levy was the film critic of The Oregonian newspaper in Portland, Oregon, from 1997 to 2012 and of KGW-TV, Portland's NBC affiliate, from 2009 to 2016. He is a former Senior Editor of American Film and a former Associate Editor of Box Office. His work has appeared in major newspapers and magazines in the United States and England including The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, The Guardian, The Independent, Film Comment, Movieline, Premiere, and Sight & Sound.
Levy has written biographies of film actors Paul Newman, Robert DeNiro and Jerry Lewis, and books on pop culture scenes and phenomena such as the Rat Pack, 1950s film-making in Rome, and 1960s Swinging London. He signs his work Shawn Levy and is not to be confused with the filmmaker Shawn Levy, whose full name is Shawn Adam Levy.
He is an active member of Portland's soccer community and serves on the board of Operation Pitch Invasion.
- King of Comedy: The Life and Art of Jerry Lewis (1996) ISBN 978-0-312-16878-0
- Rat Pack Confidential: Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter, Joey, and the Last Great Show Biz Party (1998) ISBN 978-0-385-49576-9
- Ready, Steady, Go! The Smashing Rise and Giddy Fall of Swinging London (2002) ISBN 978-0-7679-0588-6
- The Last Playboy: The High Life of Porfirio Rubirosa (2005) ISBN 978-0-00-717060-9
- Paul Newman: A Life (2009) ISBN 978-0-307-35375-7
- The Rat Pack (2010) ISBN 978-0956648709
- De Niro: A Life (2014) ISBN 978-0307716781
- Dolce Vita Confidential: Fellini, Loren, Pucci, Paparazzi, and the Swinging High Life of 1950s Rome (2016) ISBN 978-0393247589
- The Castle on Sunset: Life, Death, Love, Art, and Scandal at Hollywood's Chateau Marmont (2019) ISBN 978-0385543163
- "Newman Owns: Shawn Levy on the sturdy 'Paul Newman: A Life'" (interview, NewCity Film, May 12, 2009)
- "The Hustler in the Penthouse" (review/interview, Willamette Week, October 5, 2005)
- "A Jet-Set Don Juan, Right Up to the Final Exit" (review of "The Last Playboy", The New York Times, September 16, 2005)
- "Not in My Name" (Shawn Anthony Levy writes about being mistaken for Shawn Adam Levy, The Guardian, March 14, 2003)
- "King of Comedy: The Life and Art of Jerry Lewis". publishersweekly.com.
- Official website
- "Interview: Paul Newman biographer Shawn Levy" (Belief.net, May 27, 2009)
- "Author Gets Into the Swing of England" (review/interview, Portland Tribune, October 1, 2002)
- "Hipoisie and Chic-oisie and London Had the Mojo" (review of "Ready, Steady Go!", The New York Times, July 23, 2002)
- "Funny Bones" (review of "King of Comedy," The New York Times, June 9, 1996)
- "'King of Comedy' Isn't All Laughs for Lewis" (review/interview, USA Today, April 11, 1996)
- Levy's Author page, Amazon
- Levy's Mad About Movies review page, KGW-TV