Prof Shahidha Bari
|Education||Kings College Cambridge|
|Occupation||Academic, critic, broadcaster|
Shahidha Bari is a British writer, academic and critic.
Shahidha Bari is Professor of Fashion Cultures and Histories at London College of Fashion at the University of the Arts London. She is one of the regular presenters of the BBC Radio 3 arts and ideas programme Free Thinking. and an occasional presenter of BBC Radio 4's Front Row.
Her academic work moves between philosophy, psychoanalysis, literary theory and visual culture. Her book Dressed: The Secret Life of Clothes was published in 2019. She is currently working on a philosophical study of beauty.
In 2011, Bari was selected as one of ten BBC Radio 3 New Generation Thinkers, a new project launched in conjunction with the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) to communicate academic research to a wider audience. She is the winner of the 2014/15 Observer Anthony Burgess Arts Journalism Prize, for a "powerful and insightful" review of the National Theatre's Medea.
In print, her writing appears in The Financial Times, The Guardian, The Observer and the New Statesman. She is a regular columnist for Times Higher Education, a reviewer for The Times Literary Supplement, a contributor to Aeon and frieze, and appears as a cultural critic on BBC TV. She has presented documentaries for BBC Radio 4 and the BBC World Service. She is a frequent contributor to Radio 4's Woman's Hour and Saturday Review.
- "Shahidha Bari".
- "Salman Rushdie, Lionel Shriver, Uncertainty, Who wants to be a millionaire?". Free Thinking. BBC Radio 4.
- "Orla Kiely; Belinda Bauer; Asian theatre". Front Row. BBC Radio 4.
- "Forum for European Philosophy". London School of Economics. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- "Dressed". Amazon.
- "Book of the Day". Guardian.
- Mark Brown (28 June 2011). "X Factor-style search for 10 academics from generation think". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- Shahidha Bari (8 March 2015). "Anthony Burgess prize-winning essay, 2014: National Theatre's Medea". The Observer.
- "Rain: Four Walks in English Weather'". Financial Times Life and Arts.
- "Game Theory'". The Guardian.
- Shahidha Bari. "Marriage as a Fine Art, by Julia Kristeva and Philippe Sollers". Times Higher Education.
- Shahidha Bari (6 February 2017). "Undone Done, Sam McKnight, Somerset House, London". Times Literary Supplement.
- Shahidha Bari (19 May 2016). "What do clothes say?". Aeon.
- "Life and times of Alexander McQueen". Frieze Art Magazine.
- "Front Row Late". BBC. 18 January 2019.
- "Late Night Woman's Hour". Woman's Hour. BBC Radio 4.
- "Deep Blue Sea; Fire At Sea; Edmund White; Winifred Knights; Outcast/Preacher". Saturday Review. BBC Radio 4.
- "Forward Prizes for Poetry 2019". Forward Prizes for Poetry.