|National University of Iran|
|Endowment||US$ 78.67 million|
(December 10, 2014)
|Chancellor||Sadollah Nasiri Gheydari|
Shahid Beheshti University (Persian: دانشگاه شهید بهشتی, romanized: Dāneshgāh-e Shahid Beheshti) is a public university founded in 1959 and one of the top universities in Iran. The university offers a large number of programs at Bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. levels.
Shahid Beheshti University was founded as the National University of Iran in 1959 by Ali Sheikholislam, the second-best public university in Iran. The university was planned to be devoted to graduate studies. At its opening, it consisted of two schools: Architecture and Urban Planning, and Banking and Economics, with 174 students. Soon the School of Literature and Foreign Languages began in downtown Tehran. The first graduate academic degree program was the Master's course in the School of Architecture, launched in 1961. In 1962, a new main campus was built in Evin, a suburb in the north of Tehran. Academic offerings expanded as facilities were added. By 1978 several other faculties became active i.e.the faculties of Literature and Human Sciences, Basic Sciences, Law, Earth Sciences, Statistics and Informatics and Education and Psychology. Due to an academic reform in 1986, the medical schools were separated from the main universities and became Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences working under the purview of the Iranian Ministry of Health and Medical Education. The first PhD course was offered in the School of Economics in 1991.
Under royal auspices, the university library began to acquire important collections in the field of Oriental studies and literary classics in French and German. During that period, the university library ranked in importance second in the country only to Aryamehr (later Sharif) University of Technology. In 2012, the university's new main office building was completed.
In spring 2013, Power and Water University of Technology (PWUT) was merged into Shahid Beheshti University.
- Main campus: Located in Evin District, it extends into Velenjak District in northwestern Tehran, Iran, on approximately one million square meters.
- Abbaspour College of Engineering and Technology (ex-Power and Water University of Technology) is on East Vafadar Blvd., Tehranpars, P.O. Box 16765-1719, 1658953571, Tehran
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering: Department of Telecommunication, Department of Electronics, Department of Systems and Control, Department of Power
- Faculty of Computer Engineering and Science: Department of Software Engineering & Information, Department of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Department of Computer Architecture and Networks
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Energy
- Faculty of Architecture & Urban Engineering: Department of Architecture: Department of Landscape Architecture, Department of Construction, Department of Design, Department of Reconstruction, Department of Urban Planning
- Faculty of Business & Management: Department of Public Management, Department of Business Management, Department of Commercial Management, Department of Financial Management, Department of Industrial Management, Department of Entrepreneurial Management, Institute for Research
- Faculty of Biological Sciences: Department of Biology, Department of Genetics, Department of Marine Biology, Department of Microbiology, Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology
- Faculty of Economics & Political Sciences: Department of Economics, Department of Political Sciences
- Faculty of Energy Sciences & Modern Technologies: Department of Aeronautics, Department of Biotechnology, Department of Energy, Department of Nanotechnology, Department of Cellulose and Paper sciences
- Faculty of Earth Sciences: Department of Geology, Department of Geography, Department of Geophysics
- Faculty of Law: Department of Criminology & Criminal Law, Department of Intellectual Property, Department of International Trade Law, Department of Economic Law, Department of Environmental Law, Department of Human Rights, Department of International Law, Department of Private Law, Department of Public Law
- Faculty of Literature & Human Sciences: Department of Linguistics and Literature, Department of Philosophy, Department of History, Department of Archaeology, Department of Sociology, Institute of Iranology
- Faculty of Mathematical Sciences: Department of Mathematics, Department of Statistics, Department of Computer Sciences
- Faculty of Nuclear Engineering: Department of Applied Radiation, Department of Fuel-Recycling, Department of Radiology (Medical Radiation)
- Faculty of Physical Education & Sport Sciences
- Faculty of Psychology and Education: Department of Psychology, Department of Behavioral Studies & Advising, Department of Educational Sciences
- Faculty of Sciences: Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics
- Faculty of Civil &Water & Environmental Engineering: Department of Water Resources Engineering, Department of Water and Wastewater Engineering, Department of Structural and Geotechnical Engineering, Department of Environmental Engineering
- Institute for Cognitive and Brain Sciences (ICBS)
- Automated Software Engineering Research Group
- Center for Environmental Research
- Center for Cyberspace Research
- Secure Communication and Cryptography
- Content transfer technology
- Center for Family Research
- Center for Medicinal Plant and Drug Research Institute
- Laser and Plasma Research Institute
- Fiber optics
- LIBS (Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy)
- Non-destructive Testing
- Polymers and Organic Materials Photonics headed by Dr. Mohajerani
- Center for Pharmaceutical Research
- International Persian Language teaching Center
Notable faculty and alumni
- Mir-Hossein Mousavi (BA, MA), Prime Minister of Iran (1981-1989)
- Masoumeh Ebtekar (BSc), Vice President of Iran for Women and Family Affairs (2017-), Vice President of Iran–Head of Department of Environment (1997-2005, 2013-2017), Member of the Islamic City Council of Tehran (2007-2013)
- Farhad Dejpasand (BA, MA), Minister of Finance (2018-)
- Mohsen Sazegara (MA), former government official, political activist
- Abdolali Bazargan (MA), liberal politician, writer and intellectual
- Mohammad Mehdi Tehranchi (BSc, MSc), president of the Islamic Azad University (2018-), chancellor of the Shahid Beheshti University (2012-2017), professor in the Faculty of Physics at Shahid Beheshti University (1998-)
- Mahmudreza Aghamiri (BSc), president of the Islamic Azad University–Central Tehran Branch (2018-), professor in the Faculty of Nuclear Engineering at Shahid Beheshti University
- Leila Araghian (BA), architect
- Fereydoon Abbasi (Nuclear Engineering), Member of the 11th Parliament of Iran, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (2011-2013)
- Majid Shahriari (Nuclear Engineering), nuclear scientist, Iran's envoy in SESAME
- Parviz Davoodi (Economy), First Vice President of Iran (2005-2009), head of the Iran's National Elites Foundation (2006-2007)
- Mostafa Mohaghegh Damad (Law), member of the Academy of Sciences of Iran
- Ahmad Khatami (Persian Language and Literature)
- Saeed Laylaz (Economy), economist and journalist
|Shahid Beheshti University|
|Global – Overall|
|CWTS World||598 (2020)|
|THE World||601–800 (2021)|
|USNWR Global||999 (2021)|
Asia University Rankings
- Based on the latest ranking of universities in the world and based on the ranking system (Kakarry Simonds, QS), Shahid Beheshti University has been in the fifth grade for two consecutive years 2017 and 2018 after the Sharif universities, science and industry, Amirkabir and Tehran, respectively at the 701 + And 1000-800.
- Category B++
- Article 64.80
- Citation 63.34
- Total documents 30.59
- JIT 54.25
- JCIT 45.11
- Collaboration 45.32
- Total 303.42
- Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences
- Tehran University
- Allameh Tabataba'i University
- Tarbiat Modares University
- "Financial information=December 10 2014".
- "Main Office building for Shahid Beheshti University of Tehran". Worldarchitecture.org. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2013-09-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- CWTS Leiden Ranking 2020, Centre for Science and Technology Studies, Leiden University, retrieved 24 September 2020
- World University Rankings 2021, THE Education Ltd, retrieved 2 September 2020
- Best Global Universities in Iran, U.S. News & World Report, retrieved 24 September 2020
- "Shahid Beheshti University". Times Higher Education (THE). 2019-09-09. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Shahid Beheshti University | Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2019 | Shanghai Ranking - 2019". www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "top universities".
- "University Ranking by Academic Performance". None. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shahid Beheshti University.|