|Local authority||London Borough of Tower Hamlets|
|Managed by||Docklands Light Railway|
|Owner||Transport for London|
|Number of platforms||2|
|DLR annual boardings and alightings|
|31 August 1987||Opened|
|London transport portal|
Shadwell is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Shadwell in east London, England and is between the terminals of Bank and Tower Gateway to the west and Limehouse to the east. The 1991 Bank extension joins the main DLR line just to the west of Shadwell. It is located near Shadwell railway station for London Overground services, in Travelcard Zone 2.
This station opened on 31 August 1987 as part of the first tranche of DLR stations. It is located 50 yards to the west of an earlier station that was first called Shadwell and then re-named Shadwell & St. George's East, serving the slow lines of the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway that this section of the DLR replaced.
Initially designed for one-car DLR trains, Shadwell's platform was extended for two-car operation in 1991. The station was refurbished in 2009: the platforms were extended to accommodate three-car trains, the station entrance at ground level was altered, and an emergency exit was added at the east end of the platforms.
The station stands on a viaduct and consists of a single island platform serving trains in both directions. The ticket machines and entrance are at ground level to the west of the island platforms, facing onto Watney Street. The station is usually unstaffed, like most stations on the DLR. There is a crossover west of the station which allows trains from Westferry, Bank or Tower Gateway to reverse here.
The typical off-peak service from the station is:
- 15 tph (trains per hour) to Bank
- 6 tph to Tower Gateway
- 6 tph to Woolwich Arsenal
- 6 tph to Beckton
- 9 tph to Lewisham
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. May 2020. Archived (PDF) from the original on 7 August 2020.
- Transport for London (12 February 2013). "Freedom of Information DLR usage 1213". Transport for London. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Up-to-date DLR entry/exit statistics for each station" (XLSX). What Do They Know. Transport for London. 18 March 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Passenger Numbers - Docklands Light Railway Limited" (XLSX (after downloading zip)). What Do They Know. Transport for London. 8 June 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- "Shadwell (Zone 2)". TfL. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shadwell DLR station.|
|Preceding station||DLR||Following station|
|Docklands Light Railway|