This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Beastie Boys|
|from the album Paul's Boutique|
|Released||October 30, 1989|
|Songwriter(s)||Michael Diamond, Adam Horovitz, Adam Yauch, Mike Dike, John King, Michael Simpson|
|Producer(s)||Beastie Boys, Dust Brothers, Mario Caldato Jr.|
|Beastie Boys singles chronology|
The song refers to the Biblical story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and the fiery furnace in the Book of Daniel. However, the lyrics "Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego" in the track are used and sampled from Sly Stone's "Loose Booty", where they are repeated and spoken rhythmically throughout the track in an almost rap-like form. In verse two, the lyric, So I'm out pickin' pockets at the Atlantic Antic, refers to an annual Brooklyn street festival of that name.
The video released to promote the Beastie Boys' song was directed by Adam Yauch under his pseudonym Nathaniel Hornblower. Its style and artistic beauty (each frame was painted by hand) resulted in it being included in the 22nd International Tournée of Animation. The video can be seen on the Beastie Boys Criterion Collection DVD set. The music video was designed by famous animation studio Klasky Csupo.
Also released on the EP An Exciting Evening at Home with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
|2.||"And What You Give Is What You Get"||3:42|
The sources of the song's samples can be found on WhoSampled.
- "Say What?" by Trouble Funk
- "That's the Joint" by Funky 4+1
- "Do Your Dance" by Rose Royce
- "Never Let 'Em Say" by Ballin' Jack
- "Funky Drummer" by James Brown
- "Hot and Nasty" by Black Oak Arkansas
- "Sugarhill Groove" by the Sugarhill Gang
- "Loose Booty" by Sly Stone
- Produced & arranged by the Beastie Boys & the Dust Brothers.
- Engineered by Mario Caldato & Allen Abrahamson.
- Samples taken from Sly Stone's "Loose Booty", from his 1974 album Small Talk.
- "Sly And The Family Stone - Loose Booty Lyrics and Info". Sly And The Family Stone Dot Net.
- "Shadrach (1989)". IMDb.