|Comune di Sermoneta|
Sermoneta from above in October 2007
|Frazioni||Carrara, Doganella, Monticchio, Pontenuovo, Sermoneta Scalo, Tufette|
|• Mayor||Claudio Damiano|
|• Total||44 km2 (17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||257 m (843 ft)|
|• Density||220/km2 (580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Joseph|
|Saint day||March 19|
It is a walled hill town, with a 13th-century Romanesque cathedral called Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and a massive castle, built by the Caetani family. The Cistercian Valvisciolo Abbey is located nearby. The churches of San Giuseppe (mainly 16th century) and San Michele (mainly 12th century) still stand.
In the 13th-16th centuries, it was home to a flourishing Jewish community.
An episode of Return of the Saint was filmed there and the town was known as Santa Maria.
- Girolamo Siciolante (1521-1575), painter;
- Fabritio Caroso (1526/1535 – 1605/1620), Renaissance dancing master and composer;
- Antonio Cavallucci (1752–95), painter;
- Ubaldo Righetti (1963- ), retired football player;
- Cesare Battisti (1954- ), ex terrorist;
- Elena Santarelli (1981- ), actress;
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Data from ISTAT
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
|This Lazio location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|