Career and research
He is known for his pioneering research in molecular self-assembly. Molecular self-assembly is the assembly of molecules without guidance or management from an outside source.
His main field of expertise and research interests are Host Guest Chemistry, Molecular Recognition, Liquid Crystals/Organic Gelators, Sugar Sensing/Sugar-Based Combinatorial Chemistry, Boronic-acids, Polysaccharide-Polynucleotide Interactions, Sol-Gel Transcription and Inorganic Combinatorial Chemistry. His most recent research is related to chiral discrimimation using AIE.
To date (July 2019) he has published over 1024 original paper and 219 reviews and books.
- The Chemical Society of Japan Progress Award (1978)
- Izatt-Christensen International Award in (1998)
- Becker Lecture Award (1999)
- Vielberth Lectureship Award (2002)
- The Chemical Society of Japan Award (2003)
- Western Japan Culture Prize (2004)
- Toray Science and Technology Prize (2006)
- Daiwa Adrian Prize (2013)
- Molecular Sensors & Molecular Logic Gates (MSMLG) Award (2014)
- Received the Order of the Sacred Treasure from the Emperor of Japan in 2017.
- Received the Person of Cultural Merit from the Japanese Government in 2018.
Co-workers and Students
- Itaru Hamachi (Kyoto University)
- Masato Ikeda (Gifu University)
- Tony D. James (University of Bath)
- Toshi Mizuno (Nagoya Institute of Technology)
- Takashi Nagasaki (Osaka City University)
- Eiji Nakata(Kyoto University)
- Munenori Numata (Kyoto Prefectural University)
- Soichiro Ogi (Nagoya University)
- Kazuki Sada (Hokaido University)
- Kazuo Sakurai (University of Kitakyushu)
- Tomohiro Shiraki (Kyushu University)
- Hiroshi Takashima (Nara Women's University)
- Masayuki Takeuchi (NIMS)
- Shinya Tsukiji (Nagoya Institute of Technology)
- 九州大学・高等研究院・組織・メンバー(written in Japanese)
- "新海征治 Seiji Shinkai".
- "Photocontrolled extraction ability of azobenzene-bridged azacrown ether". Tetrahedron Letters. 20: 4569–4572. 1979.
- "Izatt-Christensen Award Recipients".
- "Shinkai Tamaru Lab".
- "Daiwa Adrian Prizes 2013".
- "Kyushu University Members".
- "Office of the President - New Years Greeting".