This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
According to the Charter of the Organization of American States:
|Secretary-General of the |
Organization of American States
|Organization of American States|
|Residence||Pan American Union Building|
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Nominator||Organization of American States|
|Term length||5 years|
(renewable, traditionally limited to 2 terms)
|Constituting instrument||Organization of American States|
|Inaugural holder||Alberto Lleras Camargo|
- The Secretary General shall direct the General Secretariat, be the legal representative thereof, and [...] be responsible to the General Assembly for the proper fulfillment of the obligations and functions of the General Secretariat.
- The Secretary General of the Organization shall be elected by the General Assembly for a five-year term and may not be reelected more than once or succeeded by a person of the same nationality. In the event that the office of Secretary General becomes vacant, the Assistant Secretary General shall assume his duties until the General Assembly shall elect a new Secretary General for a full term.
- The Secretary General, or his representative, may participate with voice but without vote in all meetings of the Organization.
- The Secretary General may bring to the attention of the General Assembly or the Permanent Council any matter which in his opinion might threaten the peace and security of the Hemisphere or the development of the Member States.
Secretaries General of the OAS
|1||1948–1954||Alberto Lleras Camargo||Colombia|
|2||1954 – 19 October 1955||Carlos Dávila
Died while in office
|3||1956–1968||José A. Mora||Uruguay|
|6||1984–1994||João Clemente Baena Soares||Brazil|
Re-elected to a second term at the 1999 General Assembly
|8||15 September 2004 – 15 October 2004||Miguel Ángel Rodríguez
|–||15 October 2004 – 26 May 2005||Luigi R. Einaudi (acting)||United States|
|9||26 May 2005 – 26 May 2015||José Miguel Insulza
Elected 2 May 2005 (see: OAS Secretary General election, 2005), re-elected on 24 March 2010
|10||26 May 2015 - present||Luis Almagro||Uruguay|
Assistant Secretaries General of the OAS
- William Manger (United States) (1948–1958)
- William Sanders (United States) (1958–1968)
- M. Rafael Urquía (El Salvador) (1968–1975)
- Jorge Luis Zelaya Coronado (Guatemala) (1975–1980)
- Val T. McComie (Barbados) (1980–1990)
- Christopher R. Thomas (Trinidad and Tobago) (1990–2000)
- Luigi R. Einaudi (United States) (2000 – July 2005)
- Albert Ramdin (Suriname) (19 July 2005– 2015)
- Nestor Mendez (Belize) (July 17, 2015 - Present)