The Steelheads played in the West Coast Negro Baseball League and played their first game on June 1, 1946, against the San Diego Tigers, in front of 2,500 fans at Sick's Stadium. The league folded after a month of play.
MLB throwback jerseys
The Seattle Mariners honored the Steelheads when they wore 1946 Steelheads uniforms on September 9, 1995, at home against the Kansas City Royals. The Royals wore Kansas City Monarchs uniforms. The Mariners beat the Royals 6-2 in front of 39,157 fans at the Kingdome. The game was attended by former Steelhead player Sherwood Brewer. The Mariners wore a different variety of the Steelheads uniform on May 16, 2015 on "Turn Back the Clock Night" against the Boston Red Sox at Safeco Field, and lost to the Red Sox 4-2.
- Gastineau, Mike; Art Thiel; Steve Rudman (2009). The Great Book of Seattle Sports Lists. Basic Civitas Books. p. 170. ISBN 0-7624-3522-4. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- Anderson, Lenny (1995-04-14). "Negro League Seattle Steelheads Gone, But Not Forgotten". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Archived from the original on May 28, 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "September 9, 1995 Kansas City Royals at Seattle Mariners Box Score and Play by Play". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Negro Leagues Salute". Jet. 1995-10-02. p. 45. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- Seattle Mariners [@Mariners] (April 23, 2015). "The 1946 Seattle Steelheads will take the field on Turn Back the Clock Night, May 16. Tix: atmlb.com/1Dntk4O" (Tweet). Retrieved April 23, 2015 – via Twitter.