|Ontario electoral district|
|Defunct provincial electoral district|
|Legislature||Legislative Assembly of Ontario|
Scarborough West was a provincial electoral district in Ontario, Canada. It was created prior to the 1963 provincial election and eliminated in 1996, when its territory was incorporated into the riding of Scarborough Southwest. Scarborough West riding was created from part of the former riding of York—Scarborough. It was in the former borough of Scarborough.
The riding was created in 1963 through an amendment to the Representation Act. It formed the southwest part of the former riding of York—Scarborough. The riding was bordered by Lawrence Avenue to the north, Victoria Park Road to the west, Lake Ontario to the south and Kennedy Road to the east.
In 1975, the boundary was significantly altered. The western boundary remained Victoria Park Road and the southern boundary of Lake Ontario were retained. The northern boundary was moved south to Eglinton Avenue. The eastern boundary was redrawn as follows: from Eglinton Avenue, the boundary followed the CNR right-of-way located east of Kennedy Road south and then curving south east to Midland Avenue at Danforth Road. It followed Midland Avenue south to Kingston Road where it turned southwest following Kingston to the Rosetta McLain Gardens park. It then turned south until it met the lake.
In 1987 the boundary was altered again. The northern border was moved north to Lawrence Avenue. The eastern boundary followed the CNR right-of-way east of Kennedy Avenue south to Eglinton Avenue. It then moved west following Eglinton to Kennedy Road. It then followed Kennedy south to Lake Ontario.
Members of Provincial Parliament
|Created from York—Scarborough in 1963|
|27th||1963–1967||Stephen Lewis||New Democratic|
|1979–1981||Richard Johnston||New Democratic|
|35th||1990–1995||Anne Swarbrick||New Democratic|
|36th||1995–1999||Jim Brown||Progressive Conservative|
|Sourced from the Ontario Legislative Assembly|
|Merged into Scarborough Southwest after 1996|
|New Democrat||Stephen Lewis||10,534||42.4|
|New Democrat||Stephen Lewis||13,141||47.9|
|New Democrat||Stephen Lewis||13,104||39.3|
|Party||Candidate||Votes[nb 1]||Vote %|
|New Democrat||Stephen Lewis||15,717||56.1|
|Party||Candidate||Votes[nb 2]||Vote %|
|New Democrat||Stephen Lewis||13,340||54.0|
|Conservative||Kenneth J. Timney||6,870||27.8|
|Party||Candidate||Votes[nb 3]||Vote %|
|New Democrat||Richard Johnston||6,981||42.3|
|New Democrat||Richard Johnston||10,018||41.9|
|New Democrat||Richard Johnston||13,087||53.4|
|New Democrat||Richard Johnston||13,246||56.0|
|Family Coalition||Stephen Jalsevac||1,139||4.8|
|Party||Candidate||Votes[nb 4]||Vote %|
|New Democrat||Anne Swarbrick||13,948||51.3|
|Family Coalition||Shoten Slovak||971||3.6|
|New Democrat||Anne Swarbrick||9,216||33.8|
|Natural Law||Cynthia Marchand||387||1.4|
- 170 out of 172 polls reporting.
- 184 out of 185 polls reporting.
- 160 out of 184 polls reporting.
- 183 out of 187 polls reporting.
- "Representation Act , RSO 1970, c 413". Legislative Assembly of Ontario. 1970.
- Fulton, E. Kaye (September 6, 1975). "Near defeat in 1971 haunting Lewis in Scarborough West". Toronto Star. p. A6.
- Zwolinski, Mark (September 1, 1987). "6 candidate in NDP stronghold". Toronto Star. p. A7.
- For a listing of each MPP's Queen's Park curriculum vitae see below:
- For Stephen Lewis' Legislative Assembly information see "Stephen Henry Lewis, MPP". Parliamentary History. Toronto: Legislative Assembly of Ontario. 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- For Richard Johnston's Legislative Assembly information see "Richard Frank Johnston, MPP". Parliamentary History. Toronto: Legislative Assembly of Ontario. 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- For Anne Swarbrick's Legislative Assembly information see "Anne Swarbrick, MPP". Parliamentary History. Toronto: Legislative Assembly of Ontario. 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- For Jim Brown's Legislative Assembly information see "Jim Brown, MPP". Parliamentary History. Toronto: Legislative Assembly of Ontario. 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Canadian Press (1963-09-26). "Who Won Which Seats In P.C.s Ontario Sweep". The Toronto Daily Star. Toronto. p. 20.
- Canadian Press (1967-10-18). "Provincial election results in Metro ridings". The Toronto Daily Star. Toronto. p. 66.
- Canadian Press (1971-10-22). "Here's who won on the Metro ridings". The Toronto Daily Star. Toronto. p. 12.
- Canadian Press (1975-09-19). "Results from the 29 ridings in Metro". The Toronto Daily Star. Toronto. p. A18.
- Canadian Press (1977-06-10). "How they voted in Metro area". The Toronto Daily Star. Toronto. p. A10.
- "Scarborough West, Wentworth held by NDP's Johnston, Isaacs". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. April 6, 1979. p. 1.
- Canadian Press (1981-03-20). "Election results for Metro Toronto ridings". The Windsor Star. Windsor, Ontario. p. 22. Retrieved 2012-09-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Canadian Press (1985-05-03). "The night the Tories tumbled; riding by riding results". Ottawa Citizen. Toronto. p. 43. Retrieved 2012-05-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "How Metro-Area Voted". The Toronto Daily Star. Toronto. 1987-09-11. p. A12.
- "How Metro-Area Voted". The Toronto Daily Star. Toronto. 1990-09-07. p. A10.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. 1995-06-08. Archived from the original on 2014-03-16. Retrieved 2012-08-27. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)