|Height||179 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Born||March 13, 1986|
|Wins by KO||8|
Satoshi Shimizu (清水 聡 Shimizu Satoshi, born March 13, 1986 in Okayama) is a Japanese professional boxer who has held the OPBF featherweight title since 2017. As an amateur, he won the bronze medal in the men's bantamweight division at the 2012 Olympics.
He is currently an employee of a children’s clothing maker, Miki House. He was Second lieutenant in the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force in 2012, and was affiliated with his alma mater, Komazawa University in 2008.
2008 Summer Olympics
He competed at the 2008 Summer Olympics at featherweight (– 57 kg) but lost his first bout 9–12 to Yakup Kılıç. He was not happy about the judgement, and turned down the offers to sign professional contracts in order to win a medal at the Olympics. He secured the bronze medal in the featherweight division in the 2009 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships in Zhuhai, China, and won the National Sports Festival of Japan in the lightweight division to become a three-division champion of that title in the same year.
In January 2010, he had surgery on the shoulder injury that has plagued him for years, and won the regional round of the National Sports Festival all by RSC in the lightweight division. Only one week after that, he moved down in weight class to the bantamweight division because the featherweight division has been removed in the AIBA events for the 2012 Summer Olympics since September 2010, and participated in the Asian Games, but lost in the quarterfinals.
2012 Summer Olympics
Shimizu qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics in the bantamweight division. He beat Isaac Dogboe 10-9, then was initially declared the loser in his second fight by Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbaijan due to controversial judging and refereeing. At the beginning of the third round, he was trailing Abdulhamidov by 7 points; however, in the last 2 minutes of that round, Abdulhamidov began to tire. Shimizu repeatedly knocked his opponent down, 6 times in total.[Video 1] AIBA officially overturned the ruling after an appeal by the Japanese Coach stating that Abdulhamidov should have been given at least 3 warnings and therefore disqualified.
Shimizu defeated Algeria's Mohamed Ouadahi 17–15 in the quarter-finals but lost to Great Britain's Luke Campbell 20–11 in the semi-finals which won him the bronze medal. It was Japan's first men's boxing medal since 1968. Shimizu made a significant contribution to Japan's 2012 Olympic boxing team as an icebreaker. However, the medal was lost in spring 2013.
He decided to join APB (AIBA Pro Boxing) for the right to fight for the gold at the 2016 Summer Olympics. So, he retired from the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, and entered Miki House in April 2014.
Professional boxing record
|Professional record summary|
|9 fights||8 wins||1 loss|
|9||Loss||8–1||Joe Noynay||TKO||6 (12)||12 Jul 2019||Edion Arena, Osaka, Japan||For WBO Asia Pacific super-featherweight title|
|8||Win||8–0||Takuya Uehara||TKO||3 (12), 1:26||3 Dec 2018||Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan||Retained OPBF featherweight title|
|7||Win||7–0||Shingo Kawamura||TKO||4 (12), 2:43||17 Aug 2018||Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan||Retained OPBF featherweight title|
|6||Win||6–0||Kyung Min Kwon||TKO||8 (12), 1:06||26 Mar 2018||Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan||Retained OPBF featherweight title|
|5||Win||5–0||Eduardo Mancito||TKO||7 (12), 2:08||30 Dec 2017||Cultural Gymnasium, Yokohama, Japan||Retained OPBF featherweight title|
|4||Win||4–0||Sa Myung Noh||TKO||5 (12), 1:54||2 Oct 2017||Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan||Won OPBF featherweight title|
|3||Win||3–0||Takuya Yamamoto||TKO||1 (8), 1:49||21 May 2017||Ariake Coliseum, Tokyo, Japan|
|2||Win||2–0||Carlo Demecillo||KO||3 (8), 1:09||30 Dec 2016||Ariake Coliseum, Tokyo, Japan|
|1||Win||1–0||In Kyoo Lee||KO||5 (6), 2:13||4 Sep 2016||Sky Arena, Zama, Japan|
- List of Olympic medalists in boxing#Bantamweight
- List of 2012 Summer Olympics medal winners#30px Boxing
- 2012 Asian Boxing Olympic Qualification Tournament#Bantamweight
- Controversies at the 2012 Summer Olympics#Men's boxing officiating
- Chronological summary of the 2012 Summer Olympics#Day 5: Wed 1 August
- "Japanese Medalists in London 2012 Olympics". joc.or.jp. Japanese Olympic Committee. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- 防衛省・自衛隊：自衛隊岡山地方協力本部 (in Japanese). Okayama Provincial Cooperation Office of the Japan Self-Defense Forces. 2012. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Satoshi Shimizu Biography and Olympic Results | Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
- "Olympics: Murata reaches final, Shimizu takes bronze in boxing". Kyodo News. August 10, 2012. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "London medalist Shimizu leaves SDF, joins Miki House". Yomiuri Shimbun. Archived from the original on 2014-04-13. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "SDF Personnel Who Are Active on the World Stage" (PDF). Ministry of Defense (Japan). 2012. p. 36. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "2008 Beijing Summer Olympics - SHIMIZU Satoshi Profile & Bio, Photos & Videos - NBC Olympics". NBCUniversal. 2008. Archived from the original on August 8, 2008. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Yuri Ishihama (August 12, 2012). "Shimizu stuck to plan after rejecting pro offer". Yomiuri Shimbun (in Japanese). Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Ed Odeven (August 16, 2008). "Japan's boxers lose in first round". The Japan Times. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- Padraic Halpin/Alison Wildey (August 1, 2012). "Boxing: Judges under fire amid "fix" claims". Reuters UK. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "Biographies for Satoshi Shimizu". Asian Boxing Confederation. 2013. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- チーム駒大、国体で優勝ラッシュ! (in Japanese). Komadai Sports Newspaper. October 6, 2009. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- 予想を裏切り続ける清水 聡のスイッチ (in Japanese). Physical Training School of the Self Defense Forces. 2010. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "AIBA drops Featherweight division". New Vision. September 11, 2009. Archived from the original on October 5, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Olympics-Men's boxing bantamweight quarter-finals results". Reuters. August 5, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Takashi Satō (August 11, 2012). 清水銅! 準決は���差判定負け. Nikkan Sports (in Japanese). Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Hisao Adachi (March 6, 2014). "Satoshi Shimizu va en el boxeo olìmpico". NotiFight.com (in Spanish). Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- Boxing Men's Bantam (56kg) Round of 16 Replay - London 2012 Olympic Games (YouTube video). IOC. August 1, 2012. Event occurs at 51:44. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- Professional boxing record for Satoshi Shimizu from BoxRec
- AIBA INTERNATIONAL BOXING ASSOCIATION biographies
- Satoshi Shimizu's boxing stats by the AIBA
|Regional boxing titles|
Sa Myung Noh
| OPBF featherweight champion
2 October 2017 – present