|Occupation||Film director, lyricist, writer|
Sanjay Chhel is an Indian film director, writer and lyricist.
As his father was a production designer who worked with several play producers, he was inspired to write his first one-act play, Ubhi Chavi Adi Chavi which was very successful. His one-act play Crossword Puzzle gave him recognition. His experimental play Prakaran 1956 was well recognized. He wrote more than 30 TV serials including Rangaberangi, Amasna Tara, Nukkad and Philips Top Ten. He directed and produced a TV series Hum Sab Baraati (2004) for Zee TV.
He has written or directed more than 25 films. He debuted in film industry by writing Pehla Nasha (1993). He debuted in direction with Khoobsurat (1999). He wrote story of Kachche Dhaage (1999), Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani (2000), Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya? (2005), Partner (2007), Kismat Konnection (2008). He wrote dialogues and lyrics of Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji (2011). He directed Kyaa Dil Ne Kahaa (2002). He wrote and directed Maan Gaye Mughal-e-Azam (2008) . His film Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi produced by Bharat Patel released on 15 September 2017 which was commercially unsuccessful.
He wrote several popular Hindi film songs including "E Shivani...", "Nikamma Kiya Iss Dilne", "Mahobbat Hai Mirchi..", "Do You Wanna Parter..".
He wrote short stories which were published in Navneet Samarpan, Janmabhoomi, Abhiyan, Parab, Sarvani magazines. He wrote column in Samkalin in 1989-90. He again started writing weekly column, Andaz-e-Bayan in Divya Bhaskar in 2009 which became popular. He writes weekly columns in Gujarati dailies, Mumbai Samachar, Gujarat Mitra, NavGujarat Samay, Kutch Mitra, Phulchhab. His first book Muththi Unchera Kanti Madia, about Gujarati actor-director Kanti Madia, was released in October 2017.
- Rangeela (1995) - dialogues
- Yes Boss (1997) - dialogue
- Daud (1997) - dialogue
- Kachche Dhaage (1999) - story
- Khoobsurat (1999) - Director
- Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani (2000) - story idea, dialogues
- Love You Hamesha (2001) - story
- Kyaa Dil Ne Kahaa (2002) - Director
- Krishna Cottage (2004) - lyrics
- Jo Bole So Nihaal (2005) - story
- Partner (2007) - story
- Maan Gaye Mughal-e-Azam (2008) - Director
- Kismat Konnection (2008) - screenplay
- Good Luck! (2008) - screenplay
- Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji (2011) - lyrics
- Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi (2017) - Director
- Kill the Rapist?
- Indu Sarkar (2017) - dialogues
- Naya Nukkad (1993-94)
- Filmy Chakkar (1994–96)
- Mast Mast Hai Zindagi (1995)
- Main Anari Tu Khiladi (1995)
- Phillips Top 10 (1996-97)
- Dekh Tamasha Dekh (1996-97)
- Filmy Chakkar - Season 2 (1997)
- Alwaida Darling (2000)
- Humari Bahu Malini Ayyar (2003-04)
- Hum Sab Baraati (2004)
- Heroine (2010)
- Hitler Didi (2012)
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah (2014)
- Suri (Gujarati - 2016)
- Yeh Un Dino Ki Baat Hai (2017-18)
- Saat Phero Ki Hera Pherie (2018)
- R., Vrunda (24 April 2015). "Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi in 3 Months.: As Director Sanjay Chhel Winds Up the Shoot Schedule of His Upcoming Film 'Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi' He Shares Some Interesting Insights with DNA Afterhrs". DNA – via HighBeam (subscription required). Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- Vasavada, Viral (2013). સ્વર્ણિમ કલા-ખેલરત્નો [Golden Art-Sport Jewels] (in Gujarati). Rajkot: Wonderland Publications. pp. 61–62. ISBN 978-93-80517-13-1.
- "Sanjay Chhel's humourous [sic] streak". The Times of India Mobile Site. 22 January 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Govinda, Sanjay Dutt back as a team". Hindustan Times – via HighBeam (subscription required). 31 May 2008. Archived from the original on 13 March 2016. Retrieved 5 January 2016.