Town hall of St-Gabriel-de-Brandon
Location within D'Autray RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||June 30, 1864|
|• Mayor||Roch Desrosiers|
|• Federal riding||Berthier—Maskinongé|
|• Prov. riding||Berthier|
|• Total||100.40 km2 (38.76 sq mi)|
|• Land||99.91 km2 (38.58 sq mi)|
|• Density||26.8/km2 (69/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||4.3%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
|Highways|| Route 347 |
The first settlers, mostly Irish and Scottish Loyalists, came around 1825 to the shores of Lake Maskinongé, where they formed a community that was known as Lake Maskinongé Settlement by 1827, and later as the Mission of Lac-Maskinongé. In 1837, the name Saint-Gabriel-du-Lac-Maskinongé came in use but was changed to Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon in 1840. This name refers to the angel Gabriel and the geographic township of Brandon that was proclaimed in 1827 and in which it is located.
In 1851, the Parish of Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon was founded and the post office opened that same year. In 1855, the parish municipality was established with the same name.
On June 14, 2014, Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon changed from parish municipality to a (regular) municipality.
- Population in 2011: 2679 (2006 to 2011 population change: -4.3 %)
- Population in 2006: 2800
- Population in 2001: 2590
- Population in 1996: 2608
- Population in 1991: 2161
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1181 (total dwellings: 1598)
- English as first language: 0.9%
- French as first language: 97.5%
- English and French as first language: 0.7%
- Other as first language: 0.9%
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2017)
The Commission scolaire des Samares operates francophone public schools:
The Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board operates anglophone public schools, including:
- "Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon (Municipalité de paroisse)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- Geographic code 52085 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon census profile
- "Saint-Gabriel (Ville)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "Modifications aux municipalités du Québec" (PDF). Institut de la statistique du Québec. June 2014. ISSN 1715-6408. Cite journal requires
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- "JOLIETTE ELEMENTARY ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 17, 2017.
- "Joliette High School Zone Sec 1-5." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 5, 2017.