SM Station logo.
|Type of project||Music|
|Founder||Lee Soo Man|
|Established||February 3, 2016|
SM Station is a digital music project by South Korean record label SM Entertainment. It undertook to release one digital single every Friday starting from February 3, 2016. The project's first season ended on February 3, 2017, with 52 songs. Its second season began on March 31, 2017, and concluded on April 6, 2018, with a total of 57 songs.
SM Station's purpose was to showcase SM Entertainment's artists and producers, while also including collaborations with artists outside of the label. The project began on February 3, 2016, with the release of its first single "Rain" by Taeyeon. The song proved successful, topping the South Korean Gaon Digital Chart and winning first place on the weekly music show Inkigayo. Subsequent singles that entered top 10 on the Gaon Digital Chart include "Spring Love" by Wendy and Eric Nam, "The Day" by Baekhyun and K.Will, "No Matter What" by BoA and Beenzino, "Dancing King" by Exo and Yoo Jae-suk, "Always in My Heart" by Joy and Seulong, and "Sweet Dream" by Kim Hee-chul and Min Kyung-hoon. "Rain" and "Spring Love" received various nominations at year-end music awards, among which "Rain" won a Digital Bonsang at the 31st Golden Disk Awards and "Sweet Dream" won a Best Rock Song at the MelOn Music Awards. The first season ended on February 3, 2017, with the 52nd single "Curtain" by Suho.
Station's second season was to feature collaborations with foreign musicians, besides past projects. It began on March 31, 2017, with the first single "Would U" by Red Velvet. On April 6, 2017, SM Entertainment released a compilation album titled SM Station Season 1 which contains the first season's 52 singles and five bonus tracks. The second season concluded on April 6, 2018 with "New Heroes" by NCT member Ten.
In August 2018, SM Entertainment announced a special season titled Station X 0 (Station Young), in collaboration with SK telecom's 0 (Young) mobile brand.[a] According to the label, Station X 0 is a cultural project for the young generation. The season ended on October 19, 2018 with "Written in the Stars" by Wendy and John Legend. A project girl group, Station Young, consisting of Red Velvet's Seulgi, (G)I-dle's Soyeon, GFriend's SinB and soloist Chungha was formed for the single "Wow Thing" for the album.
A third season was announced in November 2018. The first single would be released by NCT’s Lucas and Jonah Nilsson of Swedish band Dirty Loops. The season ended with "Long Flight" by NCT Taeyong, released on July 18, 2019.
On November 15, SM Entertainment uploaded a trailer featuring NCT's Jaehyun, announcing the fourth season titled Station X. The season began on November 20 with a collaboration single with UNICEF "This is Your Day (for every child, UNICEF)", by BoA, Super Junior's Siwon, J-Min, Girls' Generation's Sunny, Shinee's Taemin, Exo's Suho, Red Velvet's Wendy, and NCT's Doyoung.
- SM Station Season 1 (2016–2017)
- SM Station Season 2 (2017–2018)
- SM Station X 0 (2018)
- SM Station Season 3 (2018-2019)
- SM Station X 4 LOVEs for Winter (2019)
Awards and nominations
|2016||MelOn Music Awards||Best Ballad Song||Taeyeon||"Rain"||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Vocal Performance Female Solo||Nominated|
|HotelsCombined Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Eric Nam x Wendy||"Spring Love"||Nominated|
|BoA x Beenzino||"No Matter What"||Nominated|
|2017||Golden Disc Awards||Digital Bonsang Award||Taeyeon||"Rain"||Won|
|Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards||Song of the Year (February)||Nominated|
|Song of the Year (September)||Yoo Jae-suk x Exo||"Dancing King"1||Nominated|
|Song of the Year (November)||Kim Hee-chul x Min Kyung-hoon||"Sweet Dream"||Nominated|
|MelOn Music Awards||Best Rock Song||Won|
|Korean Music Awards||Best Dance and Electronic Song Award||Hitchhiker||"$10"||Won|
- "The Station" (2018), a music talk concert with various artists from SM '#STATION'.
- "Taeyeon sweeps charts on inaugural week of S.M. project". Yonhap News. Yonhap News Agency. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Moon, Wan-sik. "SM, 1년 52주 매주 디지털음원 공개 '파격'..첫주자 태연". Star News. Star News. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Sung So-young (February 2, 2016). "Two new singles out from Taeyeon this week". JoongAng Ilbo. JoongAng Media Network. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- "Gaon Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on March 13, 2016.
- "'인기가요' 태연, 'Rain'으로 방송 출연 없이 1위" (in Korean). Naver. Naver Corporation. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Moon Wan-shik (February 1, 2017). "SM스테이션, 시즌2 나온다..해외뮤지션 대거 참여". Star News (in Korean). Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "SM스테이션, 컴필레이션 앨범 출시…비하인드 포토북까지". 네이트뉴스 (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- SKT, 1020세대 컬처브랜드 ‘0(영, Young)’ 론칭...타게팅된 요금제·혜택 제공
- "[공식입장] 태연X멜로망스, SM 스테이션 스핀오프 첫 주자 '파격 컬래버'" (in Korean). 2018-08-03. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "'SM Station' digital music project to begin 3rd season next week". Yonhap News. 2018-11-22.
- "NCT's Lucas to spearhead 3rd season of S.M. Station". Kpopherald. 2018-11-20.
- "SM 'STATION', 'STATION X'로 새로운 시작…20일 첫 음원 발표". 아시아투데이 (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- @SMTOWNGLOBAL (2019-11-15). "'STATION X 4 LOVEs for Winter'의 첫 음원 'This is Your Day(for every child, UNICEF)'! SM엔터테인먼트와 유니세프가 세계 어린이날을 기념하고자 지구촌 어���이들에게 바치는 노래, 오는 20일에 만나보세요!" (Tweet) (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-11-15 – via Twitter.