|President||J. Kevin Dorsey (interim)|
Southern Illinois University is a state university system based in Carbondale, Illinois, United States, in the southern region of the state, with multiple campuses. Randy Dunn was formerly president of SIU.
- 1 Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees
- 2 Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- 3 Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- 4 Satellite schools and facilities
- 4.1 Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- 4.2 Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
- 4.3 Southern Illinois University Edwardsville School of Nursing
- 4.4 East St. Louis Center
- 4.5 University Center of Lake County
- 4.6 Center for Workforce Development
- 5 Presidents and Chancellors of SIU
- 6 Alumni
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees
The university is governed by the nine member SIU Board of Trustees. Seven members are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the state senate. Two members are elected by the student bodies of the Carbondale and Edwardsville campuses.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Founded in Carbondale in 1869 as Southern Illinois Normal College, Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIUC, usually referred to as SIU) is the flagship campus of the Southern Illinois University system and is the third oldest of Illinois's twelve state universities.
SIUC includes ten colleges (Agriculture, Applied Sciences and Arts, Business and Administration, Education, Engineering, Health and Social Service, Arts and Humanities, Mass Communications, Social Science and Science),and three schools: the Graduate School and the School of Law in Carbondale, and the School of Medicine in Carbondale and Springfield (see below). Considered to be a "National Research University", SIUC offers 120 Baccalaureate, 80 Masters, and 40 Doctoral degree programs. Its Morris Library is ranked in the nation's top 50 research libraries with 4 million volumes and 53,000 current periodical subscriptions.
In the fall of 2016, SIUC had 19,987 students– 13,682 undergraduates, 5,683 graduate students, and 622 professional doctoral students, and was the alma mater of over 218,920 living alumni. Carbondale provides students with places to hike and be outdoors in the beautiful Shawnee National Forest. On campus one can rent kayaks, tents, sleeping bags, and other camping gear to be immersed in the southern Illinois experience.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) is the St. Louis Metro East campus of the SIU system. The main campus in Edwardsville is situated on 2,660 acres (1,080 ha) of scenic woodland and lakes with bicycle and walking paths throughout. SIUE also operates the School of Dental Medicine campus in Alton, the East St. Louis Center, the School of Nursing's satellite campus in Springfield, and the School of Nursing's program on the SIU Carbondale campus. Begun as residential centers of SIUC in 1957, SIUE celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2007. Once known as a "commuter school", SIUE has in recent years transformed itself into a residential university.
SIUE includes the College of Arts and Sciences and seven schools, including the Graduate School and the new but highly regarded School of Pharmacy on the Edwardsville campus and the School of Dental Medicine in Alton.
The SIUE center in East St. Louis provides clinical and practicum experiences for SIUE students and a broad range of assistance to the community in the arts, education, health, and social services.
Considered to be a "Doctoral/Professional University", SIUE offers Baccalaureate, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral degrees in 48 undergraduate programs and 65 graduate and professional practice programs. In addition, students may enroll in 62 undergraduate minors. SIUE is especially known and respected (highly rated in USNEWS) for its Senior Assessment Program.
In the fall of 2016, SIUE had 14,142 students–11,720 undergraduates and 2,422 graduate students including 525 professional doctoral students, and 98,639 living alumni.
Satellite schools and facilities
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
The Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (SIU-SOM) is a part of SIUC that operates its first-year program in Carbondale and the final three years in Springfield. The SIU-SOM also offers a wide range of medical residency programs including; Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Medicine/Psychiatry, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Psychiatry, Radiology, and Urology.
Simmons Cancer Institute
The Simmons Cancer Institute is a medical education, biomedical research, patient care, and community service facility in Springfield operated by the SIU-SOM.
SIU Healthcare Clinics
Southern Illinois Aviation programs. SIU Carbondale operates aviation programs at southern Illinois airport, about 15 minutes from main campus. They have a flight school, and an aviation mechanic school. Students learn to fly, read instruments, and fix aircraft. There are several donated planes that they use to work on, but don’t fly. Private citizens, airlines, and the navy has donated planes to SIU Carbondale.
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
The Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (SIU-SDM or SDM) is a part of SIUE and is located in Alton on the campus of the former Shurtleff College. The school opened in 1972 and enrolls about 200 dental students. The school also operates the East St. Louis Dental Clinic at SIUE's East St. Louis Center.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville School of Nursing
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville School of Nursing not only has academic programs on the Edwardsville campus, but it operates a cooperative program with SIUC in Carbondale, and it has a small campus in Springfield which offers graduate level courses nearby the SIU School of Medicine. The school also operates the Community Nursing Services office at SIUE's East St. Louis Center.
East St. Louis Center
The SIUE East St. Louis Center offers services and training to more than 6,000 people annually. Programs include the SIUE East St. Louis Charter High School, a Head Start program, a Latchkey Program providing families with after-school care for children ages 6 to 12, the SIUE East St. Louis Center Performing Arts Program, the Community Nursing Services office of the SIUE School of Nursing, the East St. Louis Dental Clinic of the SIUE School of Dental Medicine, an eye care clinic, and the adjacent East St. Louis Higher Education Campus which houses the East St. Louis Community College Center.
University Center of Lake County
SIUC and SIUE are among the twenty colleges and universities offering classes for degree completion and continuing education through the University Center of Lake County in Grayslake and Waukegan.
Center for Workforce Development
The SIUC Center for Workforce Development in Springfield is operated by the Workforce Education and Development Department of the College of Education and Human Services at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Programs include Illinois workNet, providing adults and youth with disabilities the resources to help them reach educational and employment goals; the Website Development Project, working with the Illinois Department of Employment Security to redesign the agency's website to provide improved access to the department's services by individuals, businesses, and the departmental staff; Illinois Pathways, a STEM education improvement program supported by six other State of Illinois agencies; and the SIUC Workforce Education and Development program's Off Campus Undergraduate Program on the campus of Lincoln Land Community College, which provides a one-year degree completion program for students who have already received an Associate Arts or Associate of Science degrees from Illinois community colleges.
Presidents and Chancellors of SIU
|President SIU System ||Term|
|J. Kevin Dorsey (interim)||2018|
|Everest, Harvey W.||1893–1897|
|Parkinson, Daniel B.||1897–1913|
|Shryock, Henry W.||1913–1935|
|Lay, Chester F.||1945–1948|
|Morris, Delyte W.||1948–1970|
|Layer, Robert G.||1971–1972|
|Derge, David R.||1972–1974|
|Lesar, Hiram H.||1974 (interim)|
|Brandt, Warren W.||1974–1979|
|Lesar, Hiram H.||1979–1980 (interim)|
|Guyon, John C.||1987–1996|
|Argersinger, Jo Ann E.||1998–1999|
|Jackson, John S.||1999–2001 (interim)|
|Wendler, Walter V.||2001–2006|
|Dunn, John M.||2006–2007 (interim)|
|Sarvela, Paul D.||2014–2015 (interim)|
|Colwell, William Bradley||2015–2017 (interim)|
|SIUE Chancellors 
(Other titles used)
|Delyte W. Morris
|Harold W. See
(Southwest Illinois Campus VP)
|Clarence W. Stephens
|John S. Rendleman
(Chancellor then President, 1971)
|Andrew J. Kochman
|Ralph W. Ruffner
(President then Chancellor 1995)
|Julie A. Furst-Bowe||2012–2015|
|Stephen Hansen||2015–2016 (interim)|
|Randy Pembrook||2016 – present|
Debra Drexler - painter, installation artist, curator
- "FactBook 2016–2017" (PDF). Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 13, 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Fact Book". SIU Edwardsville. Archived from the original on October 10, 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "SIU School of Medicine". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Archived from the original on April 21, 2015. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Archived from the original on June 17, 2015. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Decatur Family Medicine". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Archived from the original on April 19, 2015. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Quincy Family Medicine". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Archived from the original on April 18, 2015. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "SIU School of Dental Medicine – Home". SIUE. Archived from the original on November 15, 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- "SIUE School of Nursing – Home Page". Siue.edu. Archived from the original on 2012-09-08. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "East St. Louis Center". SIUE. Archived from the original on April 9, 2015. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "University Center of Lake County". University Center of Lake County. Archived from the original on April 15, 2015. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Center for Workforce Development". SIU Board of Trustees. Archived from the original on April 22, 2015. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "History/Hall of Presidents". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Archived from the original on 24 September 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Hall Of Chancellors". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Archived from the original on 29 March 2016. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "A Tradition of Excellent Leadership". Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Archived from the original on 16 September 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southern Illinois University System.|