Welcome sign along Pennsylvania Route 108
Location of S.N.P.J. in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania.
|• Mayor||Gerald Sankovich|
|• Total||0.78 sq mi (2.01 km2)|
|• Land||0.75 sq mi (1.94 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.07 km2)|
 (northeast corner)
|1,250 ft (380 m)|
 (tributary to Sugar Creek)
|1,055 ft (322 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||24.03/sq mi (9.28/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2390560|
The society applied to have their 500-acre (200 ha) recreation center in western Pennsylvania designated as a separate municipality in 1977. The S.N.P.J. borough was created so that the society could, among other things, get its own liquor license. North Beaver Township, the municipality in which the center was originally located, restricted the sale of alcohol on Sundays (blue law).
S.N.P.J. once had the distinction of being the least-populated borough in the state (but not municipality; East Fork Road District, population 14, was less populous) until a mine fire beneath Centralia made that borough unsafe to live in.
S.N.P.J. is located at (40.928916, −80.498828).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), with 20 acres (8.1 ha; 0.031 sq mi) of the area covered by water.
It is more of a recreation complex than a community, and has 60 rental cabins, 115 mobile home slots, and an artificial lake. It is open to the public as a summertime resort and facility for bingo, weddings, and dances. Members of the society get a discount on the events.
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Mar 24, 2019.
- "Hickory Run Topo Map, Lawrence County PA (Bessemer Area)". TopoZone. Locality, LLC. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 11 June 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.