Russell Sherman (born March 25, 1930, New York, New York) is an American classical pianist, educator and author.
Russell Sherman made his debut at The Town Hall in New York at age 15, later studying piano with Edward Steuermann and composition with Erich Itor Kahn. Sherman has performed as a piano soloist with the New York Philharmonic, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and the Philadelphia Orchestra. He has performed in recital throughout the United States, Europe, South America, and the former Soviet Union.
He is currently artist-in-residence at New England Conservatory, where over thirty years ago he met and instructed Wha Kyung Byun, a woman who later became a well-known piano instructor herself as well as his wife.
Sherman's efforts as an educator have produced a number of pianists of note, among them, Marc-André Hamelin, Christopher O'Riley, Tian Ying, Keren Hanan, HaeSun Paik, Ning An, Hung-Kuan Chen, Minsoo Sohn, Christopher Taylor, Hugh Hinton, Soojin Ahn, Randall Hodgkinson, Zenan Yu, Rina Dokshitsky, Livan, Sergey Schepkin, Kathleen Supové, and Craig Smith.
Sherman's book of short essays on piano playing related concerns, "Piano Pieces," was published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux in 1996. Among the observations in "Piano Pieces" is Sherman's comment that, "Music dispels the fear of mortality and the need for rigid and permanent identities. Music rejects the nine-to-five schedule, the hunger for cash, the encroachments and limits of crass appetite."
- Dyer, Richard (May 2, 2004). "Recital is a chance to listen to the teacher: Piano instructor Wha Kyung Byun gives rare concert". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2009-07-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Dyer, Richard (May 7, 2004). "Pianists' unique styles form a perfect union". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2009-07-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Evory, Ann; Peter M. Gareffa, eds. (1988). Newsmakers, 1987: Cumulation (87 ed.). Gale Group. p. 331. ISBN 0-8103-2203-X.
- "Is Russell Sherman a Great Teacher? Here Are Six Nights of Proof". The New York Times. 2003-11-30.
- Sherman, Russell (1996). Piano Pieces. New York, New York: Northpoint Press; Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN 0-374-23206-7.