|• Mayor||Jörg Reichl|
|• Total||55.41 km2 (21.39 sq mi)|
|Elevation||195 m (640 ft)|
|• Density||460/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||SLF, RU|
The former capital of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, the town is built along the River Saale inside a wide valley surrounded by woods. Rudolstadt was founded in 776 and has had municipal law since 1326. The town's landmark is the Castle Heidecksburg which is enthroned on a hill above the old town. The former municipality Remda-Teichel was merged into Rudolstadt in January 2019.
Since 2012 Rudolstadt hosts Gettingtough – The Race, Europe's hardest Obstacle Race.
Notable people from Rudolstadt
- Hans Fallada, German writer. He went to school in Rudolstadt, it was here that he killed his friend Hans Dietrich von Necker in a duel.
- Franz Liszt, Hungarian composer worked here as the composer in residence for the Rudolstadt theatre
- Richard Wagner, German composer, worked here as the composer in residence for the Rudolstadt theatre
- Niccolò Paganini, Italian composer, worked here as the composer in residence for the Rudolstadt theatre
- Philipp Heinrich Erlebach, German composer and choirmaster in Rudolstadt
- Ahasverus Fritsch, German poet and composer
- Princess Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, grandmother of King Leopold I of Belgium, great-grandmother to Albert, Prince Consort of the United Kingdom
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden, Gemeinschaftsfreie Gemeinde, erfüllende/beauftragende Gemeinden, Verwaltungsgemeinschaft/Mitgliedsgemeinden in Thüringen". Thüringer Landesamt für Statistik (in German). September 2018.
- Official website of TFF.Rudolstadt Archived 2006-02-04 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rudolstadt.|
- Official website (in German)
|This Saalfeld-Rudolstadt location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|