|Member of the New York Senate from the 19th District|
|Assumed office |
November 4, 2015
|Preceded by||John Sampson|
|Member of the New York Assembly from the 59th District|
January 1, 2015 – November 4, 2015
|Preceded by||Alan Maisel|
|Succeeded by||Jaime Williams|
|Alma mater||Pace University|
Roxanne Persaud is a Guyanese-American politician. She is a Democrat and a member of the New York Senate for the 19th District, which includes portions of Canarsie, East New York, Brownsville, Mill Basin, Sheepshead Bay, Bergen Beach, Marine Park, Flatlands, Ocean Hill and Starrett City in Brooklyn.
Life and career
A native of Guyana, Persaud immigrated with her family to Brooklyn, New York as a young person. She is of Dougla (Indo-Guyanese and Afro-Guyanese) heritage. She graduated from Pace University with both a Bachelor's and a master's degree before entering a career in education.
Persaud previously served as a school administrator with Pace University and St. Francis College, Brooklyn, and also was involved with her community board in Canarsie, and has served on numerous boards and commissions for the community. In 2015, Persaud won the Democratic nomination to succeed Alan Maisel in the New York Assembly, and served from January to November 2015.
New York Senate
In 2015, Senator John Sampson was found guilty of corruption and forced to resign. Persaud, then a first-term Assemblywoman, was chosen by the King County Democratic Party to succeed him, and easily won election that November to finish his term. In 2016, Persaud faced a primary challenge from Mercedes Narcisse, who was backed by Assemblyman Charles Barron and Councilwoman Inez Barron. Persaud easily defeated Narcisse with over 75% of the vote. Persaud easily won re-election in 2016 and 2018.
Persaud was sworn in as state Senator on November 4, 2015. In 2019, with Democrats gaining the majority in the Senate, Persaud was named Chair of the Social Services Committee.
- "In Public Service: Persaud moving up ladder fast". Brooklyn Eagle. 2015-10-22. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Gala 2016". Indo-Caribbean Alliance, Inc. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Guyanese-born New York Assemblywoman, Roxanne Persaud, was elected to the New York State Senate – Guyanese Girls Rock!". guyanesegirlsrock.com. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "New York's immigrant lawmakers make their mark". Times Union. 2016-01-13. Retrieved 2018-09-30.
- "Brooklyn Democrats Will Endorse Assemblywoman to Replace John Sampson". Observer. 2015-08-25. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Front-Runner Emerges for Canarsie Assembly Seat". Observer. 2014-01-03. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Here Are the Candidates for Brooklyn's 5 Vacant State Legislature Seats". DNAinfo. 2014-07-29. Archived from the original on 2016-01-30. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "State Sen. John Sampson guilty in corruption case". New York Post. 2014-07-24. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Persaud Cruises To Easy Win In 19th Senate District Race". Kings County Politics (Blog). 2015-11-04. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Our Campaigns - NY State Senate 19 - D Primary Race - Sep 13, 2016". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "Senator Persaud Is Assigned Chair of Social Services Committee". NY State Senate. 2018-12-11. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Senator Roxanne Persaud official site
| New York State Senate, 19th District
| New York Assembly, 59th District