at the XV Paralympic Games
|Dates||9–11 September 2016|
Rowers are given a classification depending on the type and extent of their disability. The classification system allows rowers to compete against others with a similar level of function.
The three rowing classes are:
- LTA (Legs, Trunk and Arms) - Mixed coxed fours
- TA (Trunk and Arms) - Mixed double sculls
- AS (Arms and shoulders) - Men's and women's singles
Four rowing events are scheduled to be held, each over a course of 1000 metres:
- Men's single sculls AS
- Women's single sculls AS
- Mixed double sculls TA
- Mixed four coxed LTA
Ninety-six athletes (48 male, 48 female) are expected to take part in this sport.
The majority of the spots were awarded based on the results at the 2015 World Rowing Championships, held at Lac d'Aiguebelette, France from August 30 to September 6, 2015. Places are awarded to National Olympic Committees, not to specific athletes. Further berths are distributed at the final Paralympic qualification regatta in Gavirate, Italy. A minimum of two places were held over for the host, Brazil, one rower of each gender. In the event, however, Brazil qualified that minimum number via the World Championships, and the host nation places were therefore added to the Bipartite commission quota distribution. Russia have now been excluded from the 2016 Paralympics, and Germany and USA, as the fastest non-qualifiers in AS M1x and TA X2x respectively, will take Russia's place in those events.
|Qualifiers for the Paralympic Games 2016 - Rowing|
|Qualification Event||AS M1x||AS W1x||TA X2x||LTA X4+|
|2015 World Rowing Championships
(Top 8 boats per event - 64 athletes)
| Great Britain|
|2016 Final Paralympic Regatta
(Top 2 boats per event - 16 athletes)
|Host Nation Quotas
|Bipartite Commission quotas
(8 male, 8 female rowers - 16 athletes)
|1||Great Britain (GBR)||3||0||1||4|
|United States (USA)||0||1||0||1|
|Totals (8 nations)||4||4||4||12|
|Men's single sculls
|Women's single sculls
|Mixed double sculls
|| Great Britain (GBR)
| China (CHN)
| France (FRA)|
|Mixed coxed four
|| Great Britain (GBR)
| United States (USA)
| Canada (CAN)|
- Paralympic rowing- Rio 2016 qualification scheme. ~ rio2016.com Archived 8 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "Para-rowing entries for the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games confirmed". World Rowing. 2 September 2016. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- "Eight bipartite rowing berths awarded for Rio 2016 Paralympics". Inside the Games. 28 May 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Startlists & results". FISA. Retrieved 31 December 2016.