|Romancing in Thin Air|
|Directed by||Johnnie To|
|Produced by||Johnnie To |
|Written by||Wai Ka-Fai |
|Starring||Louis Koo |
|Music by||Guy Zerafa|
|Edited by||David Richardson |
|Distributed by||Media Asia Films|
|Country||Hong Kong |
While onstage to receive an acting award, Hong Kong screen god Michael Lau (Louis Koo) proposes to his mainland co-star, Ding Yuanyuan (Gao Yuanyuan). At the paparazzi-packed wedding reception, however, the bride runs away with her first love, coal miner Zhang Xing (Wang Baoqiang).
Michael goes on an alcoholic bender, and has the unlikely coincidence of tumbling into the back of a truck bound for Shangri-La County, in northwest Yunnan province, China. At Deep Woods Hotel, a ranch-style guesthouse 3,800 metres up in the mountains, the lovelorn Michael falls seriously ill with altitude sickness and is nursed back to health by owner Sue (Sammi Cheng) and the local doctor (Tien Niu).
Sue was a onetime art student from Hong Kong who worked there while studying in China and fell for the place and its owner, Yang Xiaotian (Li Guangjie). Seven years ago, Xiaotian went into the vast forest surrounding the guesthouse to rescue a young boy and never returned. Hoping he is still alive, Sue continues to run the place with two assistants.
Michael sobers up and discovers that Sue was an early member years ago of his international fan club. A flashback reveals a parallel romance in which Michael was instrumental in bringing Tian and Sue together. The two bond. Meanwhile, Michael's manager, Barbara (Huang Yi), is still anxiously trying to trace him. And one day, a raggedy rucksack belonging to Xiaotian is found in the forest, and Sue's hopes rise that her husband is still alive.
- Louis Koo as Liu Baiqian/Michael Liu
- Sammi Cheng as Sau/Sue
- Li Guangjie as Yang Xiaotian
- Gao Yuanyuan as Ding Yuanyuan
- Wang Baoqiang as Zhang Xing
- Huang Yi as Barbara, Michael's manager
- Tien Niu as doctor
- Wilfred Lau as Xiaolei, Barbara's assistant
- Yang Yi as Sue's chubby assistant/Teeny
- Sun Jiayi as Sue's taller assistant/Beauty
- Fu Chuanjie as priest
- Li Haitao as search party leader
- Chan Kung as mechanic
- Ji Chen as Xiaotian, in film
- Yang Zhongliang as grandfather, in film
- Zhao Yinlou as grandmother, in film
- Gesanglamu as Xiaoliang's sister, in film
- Hung Wai-leung as Michael's assistant
- Mak Kai-kwong as commercials director
- Calvin Lam as reporter
- Elanie Tsang as reporter
- Lo Kim-wah as film's executive director
- Fu Shusheng as grandfather
- Xu Feifei as grandmother
- Li Qiuer as Xiaoliang's sister
- Jiang Binshen as professor
- Marsh, James (31 January 2012). "Review: ROMANCING IN THIN AIR marks a welcome return for Sammi Cheng". Twitch Film. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Lee, Maggie (9 February 2012). "Review: Romancing in Thin Air". Variety. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Elley, Derek (23 March 2012). "Romancing in Thin Air". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-03.