Diocese of Umuahia
|Area||2,460 km2 (950 sq mi)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2004)|
|Bishop||Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Michael Kalu Ukpong|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Umuahia (Latin: Umuahian(a)) is a diocese located in the city of Umuahia. It was part of the Old Ecclesiastical Province of Onitsha, but presently, it belongs to the Ecclesiastical province of Owerri, in Nigeria, which was erected on March 26, 1994 .
- June 23, 1958: Established as Diocese of Umuahia from the Diocese of Owerri. In 1981 and 1990, two younger dioceses - Okigwe and Aba, respectively- were carved out of the old Umuahia diocese. The fiftieth anniversary of the creation of the Diocese was celebrated in glamour on June 23, 2008.
The Cathedral is Mater Dei Cathedral in Umuahia. This elegant edifice which has helped to beautify the ancient city of Umuahia was dedicated on December 8, 2000.
- Bishops of Umuahia (Roman rite)
- Michael Kalu Ukpong (2020-
Other priests of this diocese who became bishops
- Anthony Ekezia Ilonu, appointed Bishop of Okigwe in 1981
- Fortunatus Nwachukwu (priest here, 1984-1990), appointed nuncio and titular archbishop in 2013
- Gregory Obinna Ochiagha, appointed Bishop of Orlu in 1980
- Mark Onwuha Unegbu, appointed Bishop of Owerri in 1970
|This article about a Roman Catholic diocese in Nigeria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|