Archdiocese of Owerri
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Cathedral||Assumpta Cathedral, Owerri|
|Archbishop||Most Rev. Anthony J. V. Obinna|
|Suffragans||Aba, Ahiara, Okigwe, Orlu, Umuahia|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Moses Chikwe|
Imo State shown in red
The Seat of Wisdom Seminary is in Owerri.
The archdiocese covers an area of 2,996 km². 670,986 of the 1.7 million people in the area are member of the Catholic Church.
The diocese dates back to the Vicariate Apostolic of Owerri, which was created on February 12, 1948 when the Vicariate Apostolic of Onitsha-Owerri was split. On April 18, 1950 it was elevated to a diocese. On March 26, 1994 it became an archdiocese.
The seat of the archbishop is Assumpta Cathedral in Owerri.
- Vicar Apostolic of Owerri (Roman rite)
- Bishop Joseph Brendan Whelan, C.S.Sp. 1948.02.12 – 1950.04.18; see below
- Bishops of Owerri (Roman rite)
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Owerri (Roman rite)
- Archbishop Anthony John Valentine Obinna since 1994.03.26; see above
- Moses Chikwe (2019-)
Other priest of this diocese who became bishop
- Augustine Ndubueze Echema, appointed Bishop of Aba in 2019