This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Robert Morris Colonials|
|Head coach||Bernard Clark |
3rd season, 9–14 (.391)
|Stadium||Joe Walton Stadium|
|Location||Moon Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania|
|NCAA division||Division I FCS|
|All-time record||116–102–1 (.532)|
|Colors||Blue, White, and Red|
- For information on all Robert Morris University sports, see Robert Morris Colonials
The Robert Morris Colonials football program is the intercollegiate American football team for the Robert Morris University located in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The team competes in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). Formerly members of the Northeast Conference, the Colonials were originally intended to compete in the 2020 season as an FCS independent before becoming a foothall-only member of the Big South Conference in July 2021. The Colonials would ultimately join Big South football several months ahead of schedule. After COVID-19 caused the Big South to move its fall 2020 season to spring 2021, with two teams playing in the fall and a third not playing at all in 2020–21, the conference brought RMU into its football league for its spring 2021 season.
- 1994–present: NCAA Division I–AA/FCS
On June 15, Robert Morris Colonials announced leaving the Northeast Conference for the Horizon League in all sports except for football starting in 2020. The football program will join the Big South Conference in football 2021. For the 2020 football team, the Colonials were originally intended to play as an FCS independent. The team's 2020 schedule was to have been played as originally set, but all games would have been considered non-conference. However, this would change due to COVID-19 disruptions; the Big South brought RMU into its football league for its rescheduled spring 2021 season.
FCS Playoffs results
The Colonials have appeared in the FCS playoffs one time with an overall record of 0–1.
|2010||First round||North Dakota State||L 17–43|
Notable former players
Notable alumni include:
|1996Co||Joe Walton||Northeast Conference||9–2|
|1997||Joe Walton||Northeast Conference||8–3|
|1998Co||Joe Walton||Northeast Conference||8–2|
|1999||Joe Walton||Northeast Conference||4–6|
|2000||Joe Walton||Northeast Conference||10–0|
|2010Co||Joe Walton||Northeast Conference||8–3|
Co Robert Morris shared the conference championship and were therefore named co-champions.
- "RMU Athletics Logo". September 9, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "Robert Morris leaves NEC for Horizon League; football moves to Big South". wtae.com. June 15, 2020. Retrieved June 15, 2020.
- "Big South Announces Football 2021 Spring Schedule" (Press release). Big South Conference. November 9, 2020. Retrieved December 23, 2020.
- Robert Morris Colonials, College Football Data Warehouse, retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Phil Axelrod (3 Sep 1994). "Ready or not, the future is here for fledgling Robert Morris". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. E-5. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Robert Morris football to join Big South Conference in 2021". fbschedules.com. June 15, 2020. Retrieved June 15, 2020.
- "Robert Morris joins Horizon League, football heads to Big South". timesonline.com. June 15, 2020. Retrieved June 15, 2020.