Robert Hastings Hunkins
|Born||September 15, 1774|
|Died||March 11, 1853|
|Occupation||Settler, Pioneer, Farmer, Legislator|
|Known for||Historical figure|
|Children||6 verified, including Benjamin Hunkins|
|Parent(s)||Captain Robert Hunkins and Lydia Chamberlain|
|Relatives||Eugene W. Chafin|
In 1806 Hunkins was both a selectman and treasurer for the town of Navy, Vermont. From 1811 to 1812 Hunkins was Town Representative to the Vermont General Assembly for the town of Charleston, Vermont. In 1811, the Vermont General Assembly was a unicameral legislature; in 1836, the Vermont Senate was added and the Vermont General Assembly became a bicameral legislature.
Three of Hunkins' sons, Sargeant, Robert and Benjamin, moved to the Wisconsin Territory. In 1839 Hunkins followed them and set up a large farm that he worked alongside his two other sons James and Hazen.
- Sargeant Roger Hunkins (born March 12, 1802), who married Rebecca Whitcher (born September 6, 1807) on September 25, 1825;
- Robert W. Hunkins;
- Benjamin Hunkins, born 1810. Benjamin was called twice to service in the territorial legislature of Wisconsin. He was a delegate to the first constitutional convention of Wisconsin and served in the State Legislature in 1860;
- James Hunkins;
- Hazen Hastings Hunkins
and some daughters, including:
- Carrie Arvilla Hunkins, who married Eugene W. Chafin.
|Family of Robert Hastings Hunkins|
- McKeen, Rev. Silas (1875). Bradford, Vermont (in German). J. D. Clark and Son. p. 207. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Metcalf, Henry Harrison (1881). The Granite Monthly: A New Hampshire Magazine Devoted to History, Biography, Literature, and State Progress. 4. H.H. Metcalf. pp. 336–337.
- Hemenway 1877, p. 115.
- Hemenway 1877, p. 114.
- Vermont Legislature (1810). Journals of the General Assembly of Vermont, General Assembly of Vermont convened at Montpelier on October 12, 1809. Sereno Wright, printer. pp. 3, 5.
- Wayne State University School of Public Works and Social Works-American Experiences With Unicameral Legislatures, IV. Unicameralism in Vermont, pg. 9-12
- Hunkins, Hazen Hendricks (1961). Genealogical records of the Robert Hastings Hunkins family. University of Wisconsin. p. 4.
- Hunkins 1961, p. 5.
- Geo. A. Ogle & Co (1899). Memorial and Biographical Record and Illustrated Compendium of Biography: Containing a Compendium of Local Biography, Including Biographical Sketches of Hundreds of Prominent Old Settlers and Representative Citizens of Butler, Polk, Seward, York and Fillmore Counties, Nebraska, with a Review of Their Life Work... Also a Compendium of National Biography. G.A. Ogle & Company. p. 1101. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Quaife, Milo Milton (1919). The Convention of 1846. Constitutional series: Publications of the ... / Collections. 27. State Historical Society of Wisconsin. p. 778. Retrieved 29 March 2015.