|Other names||Robbie Fairchild|
(m. 2014; sep. 2017)
|Relatives||Megan Fairchild (elder sister)|
Robert "Robbie" Fairchild (born June 9, 1987) is an American dancer and actor. He is best known for originating the role Jerry Mulligan in the musical An American in Paris, and as Munkustrap in the 2019 film Cats. He was a principal dancer at the New York City Ballet.
Fairchild was raised in Salt Lake City. His mother is a dietitian and his father worked for Utah's wildlife resources. He started dancing at the age of four, and began formal ballet training at age ten. After attending the School of American Ballet's summer intensives in 2002 and 2003, he relocated to New York City and enrolled in the school as a full-time student in fall 2003.
Fairchild became an apprentice at the New York City Ballet in 2005, and joined the company's corps de ballet the following year. He became a soloist in 2007 and principal dancer in 2009. During his time in the company, he had danced works by George Balanchine, Jerome Robbins, Christopher Wheeldon, Alexei Ratmansky and Justin Peck.
In December 2014, Fairchild starred as Jerry Mulligan in the musical An American in Paris, directed and choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon, in Théâtre du Châtelet, Paris, which ran until January 2015. The musical also starred Leanne Cope. The musical transferred to Palace Theatre on Broadway the same year. The previews began in March and officially opened on April 12. He and Cope starred in the show until his departure in March 2016. He was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical in 2015 In 2017, the show premiered in Dominion Theatre on West End. Fairchild and Cope returned to the show, though he only stayed for three months.
- "Robert Fairchild Is Ready to Break the Rules". Dance Magazine. April 16, 2018.
- "Robert Fairchild". Steps on Broadway. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
- "Robert Fairchild". New York City Ballet. Archived from the original on October 4, 2017.
- "Robert Fairchild Says Goodbye to City Ballet With Balanchine and Roses". New York Times. October 16, 2017.
- "Robert Fairchild to Leave New York City Ballet". The New York Times. September 11, 2017.
- "Robert Fairchild Crosses Back to Ballet, Gershwin in Tow". New York Times. April 28, 2015.
- "Broadway-Bound An American in Paris Opens in Paris Tonight". Andrew Gans. www.Playbill.com. December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "Review: 'An American in Paris,' a Romance of Song and Step". New York Times. April 12, 2015.
- "Robert Fairchild to Depart 'An American in Paris'". New York Times. February 9, 2016.
- "An American in Paris show to dance into West End in 2017". BBC News. April 22, 2016.
- "'Cats' Breakout Robbie Fairchild Brings Broadway + New York City Ballet to the Big Screen". www.backstage.com. December 19, 2019. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
- "A New Musical Netflix Series Starring Robbie Fairchild and Jenna Dewan Drops Tomorrow". Dance Magazine. December 17, 2019.
- "Robbie Fairchild Can Do Ballet, Broadway, and Even Bouquets". Town & Country. July 17, 2020.
- "Married ballet stars Tiler Peck, Robert Fairchild split". Washington Post. Archived from the original on June 28, 2017. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "Married ballet stars Tiler Peck, Robert Fairchild split". Associate Press. June 19, 2017.