|Riverdale Collegiate Institute|
|1094 Gerrard Street East
Riverdale, Toronto, Ontario, M4M 2A1
|School type||Public High school|
|Motto||Studia Adolescentiam Alunt
(Education Nourishes Youth)
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Toronto Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Jennifer Story|
|School number||5555 / 939080|
|Colour(s)||Red and Blue|
|Team name||Riverdale Raiders|
|Newspaper||The Riverdale Spectator|
Riverdale Collegiate Institute (also called Riverdale CI, RCI, or Riverdale) is a non-semestered high school located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada owned and operated by the Toronto Board of Education until its merger in 1998 into the Toronto District School Board.
History and Overview
Riverdale CI was founded in 1907. Then known as Riverdale Technical School, the facility was designed by the architect for the Board of Education, C.E.C. Dyson. It was at that time on the outskirts of the city. It was extensively renovated in the 1990s but the original facade was maintained. It is the academic school for lower east end Toronto.
On May 17, 2006, the first annual United Games were hosted at Riverdale. This was a day-long event also including students from Eastern Commerce Secondary School, Monarch Park Collegiate and Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute. Former NBA star Jerome Williams acted as principal for the day. His activities included a presentation speaking out against violence, barbecuing lunch with students, and overseeing games designed to build relationships between the schools by forming teams with students from all four schools, rather than having a team for each school.
Riverdale provides numerous sports teams and clubs throughout the year. Some big sports include field hockey, swim team, cross country, track and field, volleyball, basketball, soccer, ice hockey and badminton. There are also many clubs including The Riverdale Athletic Association (RAA), Riverdale Raiders Robotics (R3P2), Riverdale Environmental Action League (R.E.A.L), Free the Children, Students Against Sexual Discrimination (SASD), and the Chinese Culture Club.
Riverdale Collegiate celebrated its centennial on May 12, 2007.
In a CBC.ca report on February 10, 2015, it was reported that the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) was launching a review of schools for possible closure. Riverdale Collegiate Institute was incorrectly listed out of a possible 70 schools which the TDSB considers under-used and under review. Riverdale Collegiate Institute was over capacity at 103% at the time of the erroneous news reporting and was included as part of the Pupil Accommodation Review mandated by the Ministry of Education to ensure that "school boards make more efficient use of school space while continuing to ensure that communities have the opportunity to provide meaningful input."
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Carl Brewer - ice hockey
- Morley Callaghan - writer
- Gordon Sinclair - writer and TV personality
- Michael Ironside - actor.
- Al Sims - ice hockey player and coach
- Ron Stewart - Canadian football league player
- John Cannis - politician
- Billy Harris - hockey player
- Robert S. Kenny - politician
- Lincoln Alexander - first black Member of Parliament and 24th Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario
- Jane Creba, victim of the notorious Boxing Day shooting, was also a student of the school.
- Punch Imlach - Hall of Fame ice hockey coach and general manager
- Holly Deveaux - Canadian Actress
In film and television
- Flashpoint - in 2009, the interior of Riverdale Collegiate was used as the interior of the high school "Wellesley Collegiate" in the Flashpoint episode "Perfect Storm".
- Overruled! - the exterior of Riverdale Collegiate Institute was used as the exterior of the high school "Banting High" in Disney's Overruled!.
- Rookie Blue
- "Riverdale Technical School, Greenwood Avenue, Toronto, Architect: C.E.C. Dyson (architect for the Board of Education)". Construction (Toronto). Toronto. 17 (6): 185–86. June 1924.
- Media Advisory - Raptors' Williams to serve as Riverdale CI Principal tomorrow - Raptors Lead to Achieve
- Reveille 2006, Pages 70-71 (School Yearbook)
- GlobeAndMail.com - Schools team up to fight violence
- "Some schools facing possible closure overcrowded, others, not so much". CBC News. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- Ontario, Government of. "Pupil Accommodation Reviews". www.edu.gov.on.ca. Retrieved 2016-12-05.