|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Jean Denais (UMP)|
|16.21 km2 (6.26 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,100/km2 (5,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||371–569 m (1,217–1,867 ft) |
(avg. 425 m or 1,394 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Thonon-les-Bains (French pronunciation: [tɔ.nɔ̃.lɛ.bɛ̃]; Francoprovençal: Tonon) is a town (commune) in the Haute-Savoie department in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region in eastern France. It is a sub-prefecture of the department. Thonon is part of a transborder agglomeration known as Grand Genève. The town is situated on the shores of Lake Geneva (French: Lac Léman, or simply Le Léman).
Thonon-les-Bains was the historic capital of Chablais, a province of the old Duchy of Savoy. The Chablais Savoyard is the portion of Chablais in France. Chablais Valaisan and Chablais Vaudois are those portions of Chablais in the adjacent Switzerland cantons Valais and Vaud.(cite: Chablais Wikipedia) The town was the capital of the Dukedom of Chablais.
During the debates on the future of the Duchy of Savoy in 1860, the population was sensitive to the idea of a union of the northern part of the duchy with Switzerland. A petition circulated in this part of the country (Chablais, Faucigny, Northern Genevois), but it collected no more than 13,600 signatures. The duchy was reunited after a plebiscite organized on 22 and 23 April 1860, where 99.8 percent of the Savoyards answered "yes" to the question "Does Savoy want to be reunited to France?"
Transport is assured by BUT (Bus urbains thononais). The lines are:
- Line A: Destination Grangette / Destination Multiplex
- Line B: Destination Z.I VONGY / Destination Place des arts
- Line C: Destination Collège Théodore Monod / Place des arts
- Line D: Destination Collège theodore Monod or Espace Leman / Place des arts
- Line L: Destination Amphion Village / Place des arts
- Line P: Destination Marin / Place des arts
- Line M: Destination La Chavanne / Place des arts
- Line N: Destination Parking des chateaux / Place des arts
Map of the network: http://www.leman-but.fr/ftp/FR_plan/Plan%202012%202013.pdf
Line H and J are used in Evian-Les-Bains, and not Thonon-Les-Bains.
- Arboretum de Ripaille
- Château des Guillet-Monthoux
- Château de Ripaille
- Château de Sonnaz
- Château de Thuyset
- Saint-Hippolyte church (12th century), rebuilt in Savoy Baroque-style during the 17th century
- Funiculaire de Thonon-les-Bains
Twin towns (sister cities)
Thonon-les-Bains is twinned with:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thonon-les-Bains.|
|This Haute-Savoie geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|