May 11, 1995|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||196 lb (89 kg; 14 st 0 lb)|
Toronto Maple Leafs
68th overall, 2014|
Toronto Maple Leafs
Rinat Valiev (born May 11, 1995) is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman who is currently an unrestricted free agent. He most recently played for the Stockton Heat of the American Hockey League (AHL) while under contract to the Calgary Flames of the National Hockey League (NHL). Valiev was selected in the third round (68th overall) of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Valiev was selected in the 1st round (3rd overall) of the 2012 KHL Junior Draft by Ak Bars Kazan. After parts of two seasons with junior affiliate, Bars Kazan, he relocated to North America and played the 2012–13 season with the Indiana Ice of the United States Hockey League.
After his draft selection to the Maple Leafs, Valiev was promptly signed to a three-year entry-level contract on July 10, 2014. Following his second season within the Kootenay Ice organization of the Western Hockey League, Valiev made his professional debut at the conclusion of the 2014–15 season, playing in 2 games with the Maple Leafs AHL affiliate, the Toronto Marlies.
During the 2015–16 season, behind the back of enjoying a solid season in his return to the Marlies, Valiev received his first NHL recall on March 11, 2016. He made his NHL debut with the Maple Leafs in a 4-0 defeat to the Ottawa Senators on March 12, 2016.
On February 25, 2018, one day before the trade deadline, Valiev was traded by the Maple Leafs, alongside teammate Kerby Rychel and a second-round pick in 2018 NHL Entry Draft to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Tomáš Plekanec and minor league forward Kyle Baun. On May 31, Valiev signed a one-year, two-way contract extension with the Canadiens.
Regular season and playoffs
|2015–16||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||10||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|World Junior Championships|
- "SKA Picks Alexandrov as No. 1 in KHL Draft". RIA Novosti. August 9, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- "Rinat Valiev - The Next Ones: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Profile". thehockeywriters.com. June 25, 2013. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- "Defenseman Rinat Valiev signed to entry-level contract". Toronto Maple Leafs. July 10, 2014. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Valiev the ninth Maple Leaf to make NHL debut this season". CTV News. March 11, 2016. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- Hornby, Lance (March 12, 2016). "Maple Leafs get clocked by Senators". Toronto Sun. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Cudzinowski, Matt (February 25, 2018). "Plekanec traded to Toronto in exchange for a draft pick and two prospects". NHL.com. Retrieved February 25, 2018.
- Braverman, Dan (May 31, 2018). "Canadiens agree to terms with Rinat Valiev". NHL.com. Retrieved May 31, 2018.
- "Flames acquire Valiev, Taormina from Montreal". National Hockey League. October 1, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or Eurohockey.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|This biographical article relating to a Russian ice hockey player is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|