Richard Howard Ichord Jr.
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Missouri's 8th district
January 3, 1961 – January 3, 1981
|Preceded by||A. S. J. Carnahan|
|Succeeded by||R. Wendell Bailey|
|Member of the Missouri House of Representatives|
|Born||June 27, 1926|
|Died||December 25, 1992 (aged 66)|
|Alma mater||University of Missouri|
Richard Howard Ichord Jr. (June 27, 1926 – December 25, 1992) was U.S. representative from Missouri and a significant U.S. anti-Communist political figure. A member of the Democratic Party, he served as the last chairman of the House Un-American Activities Committee between 1969 and 1975 (called the House Internal Security Committee since 1969).
Richard H. Ichord Jr. was born in Licking, Missouri. From 1944 to 1946 he served in the United States Navy. He attended the University of Missouri in Columbia, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in 1949, and a Juris Doctor in 1952.
Ichord worked as a lawyer in private practice.
Elected as the U.S. Representative for Missouri's 8th District in 1960, he was re-elected nine times, serving in the Eighty-seventh through Ninety-sixth Congresses (1961–1980). Ichord voted in favor of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1968, and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. In addition to the House Un-American Activities Committee, he also served on the House Armed Services Committee. He did not run for reelection in 1980.
Ichord died age 66 on December 25, 1992. Survivors include his wife Millicent and three children, Richard, Pam and Kyle. Six grandchildren, Loran, Megan, Chase, Alexa, Courtney and Flemming.
He co-authored the book Behind Every Bush: Treason or Patriotism (1979) with Boyd Upchurch.
- "H.R. 7152. PASSAGE".
- "TO PASS H.R. 2516, A BILL TO ESTABLISH PENALTIES FOR INTERFERENCE WITH CIVIL RIGHTS. INTERFERENCE WITH A PERSON ENGAGED IN ONE OF THE 8 ACTIVITIES PROTECTED UNDER THIS BILL MUST BE RACIALLY MOTIVATED TO INCUR THE BILL'S PENALTIES".
- "TO PASS H.R. 6400, THE 1965 VOTING RIGHTS ACT".
- "ICHORD, Richard Howard, II, (1926 - 1992)", Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–Present. Retrieved January 12, 2006.
- The Political Graveyard: Index to Politicians: I to Ingersol". Retrieved January 12, 2006.
- "SHSMO--Ichord, Richard H. (1926-1992), Papers, 1960-1980 (C1269)--INVENTORY". Retrieved June 25, 2013.
|U.S. House of Representatives|
A. S. J. Carnahan
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Missouri's 8th congressional district
| Speaker of the Missouri House of Representatives
Thomas D. Graham