Richard Bandler in 2007
Richard Wayne Bandler
February 24, 1950
Teaneck, New Jersey, United States
|Known for||co-creator of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)|
Richard Wayne Bandler (born February 24, 1950) is an American author and trainer in the field of self-help. He is best known as the co-creator (with John Grinder) of the pseudoscience Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), a methodology to understand and change human behavior-patterns. He also developed other systems named Design Human Engineering (DHE) and Neuro Hypnotic Repatterning (NHR).
Education and background
Bandler was born in Teaneck, New Jersey, where he spent the first five years of his life before moving to California and various other places where his parents shifted. After his parents separated, he moved with his mother and stayed mostly in and around San Francisco. Bandler obtained a BA degree in philosophy and psychology from the University of California, Santa Cruz, in 1973, and an MA degree in psychology from Lone Mountain College in San Francisco in 1975.
Co-founding of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)
Bandler helped Robert Spitzer edit The Gestalt Approach (1973) based on a manuscript by gestalt therapist Fritz Perls (who had died in 1970). He also assisted with checking transcripts for Eye Witness to Therapy (1973). According to Spitzer, "[Bandler] came out of it talking and acting like Fritz Perls."
While a student at University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) Bandler also led a Gestalt therapy group. John Grinder, a professor at the University, said to Bandler that he could explain almost all of the questions and comments Bandler made using transformational grammar. Grinder's specialty was in linguistics. Together, they created what they called a therapist training group. The focus of this three hour weekly group was the use of language as an agent of change. Later on, they focused on the use of language to understand and use "representational systems". Their teaching and coaching of students resulted in the development of a model intended for therapy, and this model was called the Meta-Model. This was the basis for their first book, The Structure of Magic (1975).
Bandler rented accommodation to Gregory Bateson. Bateson taught at UCSC, Kresge College as did Grinder, and had moved to a community on Alba Road near the Santa Cruz mountains community of Ben Lomond. Bateson would have a profound influence on Bandler's future, introducing him and Grinder to Milton Erickson. Together Bandler, Grinder, and Erickson formed some of the foundational models for Neuro-linguistic programming. In 1975 Bandler formed his own company, Meta Publications, and released Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson Volume I (1975).
Bandler and Grinder went on to author The Structure of Magic Volume II (1976), Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson Volume II (1977) and Changing With Families (1976), the latter of which was co-authored with Virginia Satir.
Bandler made a study of Moshe Feldenkrais, an Israeli physicist, martial artist and founder of the Feldenkrais school of body work, and published Feldenkrais's book, The Elusive Obvious. Bandler's classes have included components of bodywork that he studied from Feldenkrais.
Since that time, Bandler's career has focused on developing and presenting NLP and related concepts as an author, publisher, public speaker and consultant. Audiences include individuals seeking life improvement, and businesses using these concepts and techniques seeking to improve their sales.
Murder trial and acquittal
In 1986, Corine Ann Christensen (December 8, 1954 – November 3, 1986), a former girlfriend of Bandler's friend and cocaine dealer, James Marino, was shot dead in her Santa Cruz townhouse with a .357 magnum owned by Bandler. Authorities charged Bandler with her murder. Bandler testified that he had been at Christensen's house and was unable to stop James Marino from shooting Christensen. After a short deliberation, a jury found Bandler not guilty.
Since the early 1980s when Grinder and Bandler stopped working together, Bandler has written Using Your Brain for a Change (1985), Magic in Action (1992) Time for a Change (1995), Persuasion Engineering (1996) (co-author John LaValle) The Adventures of Anybody (1993), and Conversations (2005) (co-author Owen Fitzpatrick). As of 2015[update] Richard Bandler continues to deliver seminars in NLP, NHR and DHE.
- Bandler, Richard & John Grinder (1975a). The Structure of Magic I: A Book About Language and Therapy. Palo Alto, CA: Science & Behavior Books. ISBN 0-8314-0044-7.
- Bandler, Richard & John Grinder (1975b). The Structure of Magic II: A Book About Communication and Change. Palo Alto, CA: Science & Behavior Books. ISBN 0-8314-0049-8.
- Grinder, John; Richard Bandler (1976). Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Volume I. Cupertino, CA :Meta Publications.
- John Grinder; Richard Bandler; Judith Delozier (1977). Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Volume II. Cupertino, CA :Meta Publications.
- John Grinder; Richard Bandler (1979). Frogs into Princes: Neuro Linguistic Programming. Moab, UT: Real People Press. pp. 194pp. ISBN 0-911226-19-2.
- Grinder, John; Richard Bandler (1981). Connirae Andreas (ed.). Trance-Formations: Neuro-Linguistic Programming and the Structure of Hypnosis. Moab, UT: Real People Press. ISBN 0-911226-23-0.
- Grinder, John & Richard Bandler (1982). Reframing: Neurolinguistic programming and the transformation of meaning. Moab, UT: Real People Press. pp. -. ISBN 0-911226-25-7.
- Using Your Brain for a Change, 1985 (ISBN 0-911226-27-3)
- An Insider's Guide To Sub-Modalities, 1988 (ISBN 0-916990-22-2) Richard Bandler, Will MacDonald
- Magic in Action, 1992 (ISBN 0-916990-14-1)
- Time for a Change, 1993 (ISBN 0-916990-28-1)
- Richard Bandler (1993). The Adventures of Anybody. Meta Publications. pp. 96pp. ISBN 091699029X.
- Richard Bandler; John La Valle (1996). Persuasion Engineering. Meta Publications. pp. 230pp. ISBN 978-0916990367.
- Richard Bandler (August 21, 2008). Get The Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick and Lasting Life Change with Neuro-Linguistic Programming. HCi. p. -229. ISBN 978-0-7573-0776-8.
- Richard Bandler (2008). Richard Bandler's Guide to Trance-formation: How to harness the power of hypnosis to ignite effortless and lasting change (published in UK as Make Your Life Great). HCi. pp. 284. ISBN 978-0757307775.
- Richard Bandler; Owen Fitzpatrick (2009). Conversations with Richard Bandler: Two NLP Masters Reveal the Secrets to Successful Living (Freedom Is Everything and Love Is All the Rest). Ealth Communications. pp. 354pp. ISBN 0-9551353-0-3.
- Richard Bandler; Garner Thomson (2011). The Secrets of Being Happy: The Technology of Hope, Health, and Harmony. IM Press. pp. 256pp. ISBN 978-0982780404.
- Richard Bandler; Alessio Roberti; Owen Fitzpatrick (2013). The Ultimate Introduction to NLP: How to build a successful life. HarperCollins. pp. 160pp. ISBN 978-0007497416.
- Richard Bandler; Owen Fitzpatrick; Alessio Roberti (2014). How to Take Charge of Your Life: The User's Guide to NLP. HarperCollins. pp. 160pp. ISBN 978-0007555932.
- Richard Bandler and Kate Benson (2016) Teaching Excellence. Bandler Benson publications. 391pp. ISBN 978-0995640603.
- Richard Bandler, Dr. Glenda Bradstock and Owen Fitzpatrick (2019) Thinking on Purpose, a 15 Day Plan to a Smarter Life. New Thinking Publications. 272pp. ISBN 978-0998716732.
- 2001 – Self Esteem – Rhythm Trance, This CD has a hypnotic trance and music.
- 2001 – Time Out of Your Mind (Time Distortion), This is excerpted from Design Human Engineering held in Orlando in 2001.
- 2001 – Adventures in Multiple Timelines,
- 2003 – Propulsion Systems, Learn how to install strategies so that the more one tries to go back, the more one moves forward.
- 2000 – DHE2000, Design human engineering workshop with John La Valle @ NLP Seminars Group International in Orlando, Florida.
- 2000's – "Your Own Personal Genius" – a UK seminar
Some videos have no mention of date on them.
Videos with Richard Bandler in them.
- The Marshall University Tapes, Filmed circa 1982, Richard has spoken about these 3 sessions in many of his seminars. 1. Anticipatory Loss 2. Authority Figures 3. Phobic Response
- Personal Outcomes, filmed at NLP Comprehensive.
- Patterns of Intimacy, Flirtation, class on how to flirt.
- Bandler Down Under, Magic in Action
- Client Sessions, Shyness,
- Creating Therapeutic Change, taped in Boulder, Colorado – 7 videos: Layering Responses, Propulsion systems, Attitudes, Perceptual Grids, Nonverbal Amplifications, Playing with Problems, & Weaving Complexes;
- Bandler in Montreal, workshop in Montreal.
- An Evening with Richard Bandler – State of the Art, taped in England.
- Bandler down under, doing a workshop in Australia.
- Konstanz 2000, workshop in Konstanz, Germany, Richard shares his latest developments and refinements, stories and inductions, an introduction to NLP-DHE-NHR.
- Welcome to Reality, workshop in Ascona, Switzerland, What strategies does Richard Bandler use to be able to talk for hours? . . . with no notes . . . and with people carefully listening?
- Ascona, Bandler strategies, seminar in Ascona, Switzerland.
- The Art and Science of Nested Loops, seminar in Orlando, Florida.
- Trancing in and out, takes the class through different trances & demonstrations, seminar in Zurich, Switzerland
- How to Live a Happy Life, 30 Years of NLP,
- Persuasion Engineering, With John Lavalle.
- It's About Time (Time Distortion), Richard Bandler from a 'Charisma Enhancement' seminar in Orlando Florida
- The Bandler Effect, Bandler wearing a suit. 5 DVDs – Confidence, Creativity, Motivation, Health, & Changing Habits;
- The Class of a Master, 4 DVDs – Instant Talent, Inner Beauty, Rapid Hypnotic Inductions, & Fantastic Futures;
- Experimental Hypnosis, From a seminar held in Zurich, Switzerland. Here he decides to actually experiment with deeper forms of direct hypnosis and all the participants in the group were in a way test subjects.
- Neuro-Hypnotic Repatterning, Introduction to NHR with a demonstration of the "handshake interrupt" hypnosis induction on four different participants.
- An Evening With Richard Bandler: Introduction to NLP from THE UKCO, filmed in front of a live audience, with examples of his remedial work.
- Face to Face with Richard Bandler and Paul Ross from THE UKCO, a live audience asks Richard questions regarding psychology, education, relationships etc.
- The Secrets of Success DVD Box Set from THE UKCO, Richard models the secrets of success featuring: Chef Aldo Zilli, Olympic Gold medal-winner Iwan Thomas, businessman Andrew Morris and actor, Christopher Ellison.
- on YouTube
- Clancy, Frank; Yorkshire, Heidi (1989). "THE BANDLER METHOD". AMERICAN BUDDHA ONLINE LIBRARY. Mother Jones Magazine. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- The Gestalt Approach and Eye Witness to Therapy (1973) ISBN 0-8314-0034-X
- Spitzer, R. (1992) Virginia Satir and the Origins of NLP, Anchor Point, 6(7)
- John Grinder & Carmen Bostic St. Clair, (2001) Whispering in the Wind. C&J Enterprises.
- [Psychotherapist Not Guilty In Prostitute's Murder, Jury Finds]. Los Angeles Times. January 29, 1988.
- See NLP Life Training