Northbound view taken from platform 2 in November 2013
|Location||High Street, Reservoir|
|Distance||14.94 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 Island)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1/2 overlap|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||8 October 1889|
|Closed||2 December 2019|
|Rebuilt||16 December 2019|
|Passengers (2008-2009)||1.237 million|
|Passengers (2009-2010)||1.317 million 6.47%|
|Passengers (2010-2011)||1.273 million 3.34%|
|Passengers (2011-2012)||1.157 million 9.11%|
|Passengers (2012-2013)||Not measured|
|Passengers (2013-2014)||1.181 million 2.07%|
Reservoir railway station is located on the Mernda line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the north-eastern Melbourne suburb of Reservoir, and opened on 8 October 1889 as Preston-Reservoir. It was renamed Reservoir on 1 December 1909. In December 2019 a newly built Reservoir station was opened. This new station is elevated above a multi-road intersection.
The station was the terminus for suburban services on the Whittlesea line, with the line duplicated in December 1910, and in July 1921, it became the terminus for electric trains. In 1924, an 8 metre long turntable was provided at the station, for the operation of an AEC railmotor between Reservoir and Whittlesea station, running two trips a day. Electric trains were extended to Thomastown in December 1929, and the turntable was abolished in 1940.
Boom barriers replaced hand gates at the High Street level crossing in 1963.
On 8 May 1988, the former signal box and interlocked frame were abolished. Also abolished were crossovers, formerly located at the Up and Down ends of the station, and the double line block system between Reservoir and Keon Park, which was replaced with automatic three position signalling. Pedestrian boom barriers were also provided at the pedestrian crossing, located at the Down end of the station, and at the High Street level crossing. Two months earlier, the double line block system between Bell and Reservoir was abolished.
The current High Street level crossing was provided in 1991.
In January 2016, it was announced by the Level Crossing Removal Authority that the High Street level crossing will be removed by grade separation. Preliminary designs were released in September 2018 showing the grade separation as elevated rail with a new station in the current location. Plans for grade separation have dated as far back as the mid 1970s.
On 2 December 2019, the old Reservoir Station was closed for general public due to the railway track removal and realignment. The new station was opened on Monday 16 December 2019.
Platforms and services
Dyson's Bus Services operates seven routes via Reservoir station:
- 301: to La Trobe University
- 552: Northcote Shopping Plaza – North East Reservoir
- 553: Preston – West Preston
- 555: Pacific Epping – Northland Shopping Centre
- 556: Pacific Epping – Northland Shopping Centre
- 558: to North West Reservoir
- 561: Macleod – Pascoe Vale station
- "Train Station Patronage FY2008-2014" (XLS). Public Transport Victoria. 14 May 2015. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016. (access from "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 November 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link))
- Jack McLean (November 1995). "Reservoir - Whittlesea: Signalling and Safeworking". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 333–337.
- Reservoir Vicsig
- Public Office Record Victoria. "Reservoir - Public Record Office Victoria Photographic Collection". proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=41. Retrieved 8 September 2009.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. July 1988. p. 220.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1991. p. 338.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- End of the line for older Melbourne stations being torn down and rebuilt - The Age
- High Street, Reservoir - Level Crossing Removal Authority
- "Reservoir level crossing project design announced". Level Crossing Removal Authority. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "Works & Safeworking". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. January 1976. p. 19.
- "Mernda Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "301 Reservoir Station - La Trobe University (Bundoora Campus)". Public Transport Victoria.
- "552 North East Reservoir - Northcote Plaza via High Street". Public Transport Victoria.
- "553 Preston - West Preston via Reservoir". Public Transport Victoria.
- "555 Epping - Northland via Lalor & Thomastown & Reservoir". Public Transport Victoria.
- "556 Epping Plaza SC - Northland SC via Keon Park". Public Transport Victoria.
- "558 Reservoir via North West Reservoir". Public Transport Victoria.
- "561 Macleod - Pascoe Vale via La Trobe University". Public Transport Victoria.
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au