|Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints|
|Classification||Latter Day Saint movement|
|Orientation||Latter Day Saints|
|President||Terry W. Patience|
|Origin||April 6, 2000 |
|Separated from||Restoration Branches|
The Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, usually referred to as the Remnant Church, is a denomination in the Latter Day Saint movement. The prophet / president of the church is Terry W. Patience.
In the 1970s and 1980s, the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (now called Community of Christ) was criticized from within, by its membership, for various changes in policy and leadership. These issues, among other issues, included female priesthood, the ending of the doctrine of Lineal succession, and the construction of the Independence Temple.
This led to several branches of the RLDS Church to form groups of independent Restoration Branches. In May 1999, several members of these branches met as the Conference of Restoration Elders, including Frederick Niels Larsen, great-grandson of Joseph Smith, Jr. They published the "Proclamation and Invitation to the Faithful", which led to the creation of the Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on April 6, 2000.
In April 2002, as a descendant of Joseph Smith, Larsen was chosen to become the President of the High Priesthood of the Remnant Church, and he was sustained as the prophet and president of the church until his death. Larsen died on April 26, 2019. Following his death, Terry Wayne Patience became President of the High Priesthood/Prophet/President of the church on June 29, 2019 during a special conference of the church.
The Remnant Church maintains belief in a geophysical "Zion", a central belief of the Church during the time of Joseph Smith, Jr.
Members of the Remnant Church believe that the Inspired Version of the Bible, Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants are sacred texts. The Pearl of Great Price of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as a whole, is not part of the Remnant canon of scripture. The Remnant Church's Doctrine and Covenants shares the same sections as that of Community of Christ up to Section 144 (the last revelation from the presidency of Israel A. Smith). As of 2015, there are an additional 17 sections unique to the Remnant Church, all of which were given through Frederick Larsen. A document outlining their foundational beliefs, as written by Joseph Smith, Jr. is published on the Remnant Church's website as "Our Epitome of Faith".
- Russell, William D. (Winter 2005). "An RLDS Schismatic Group Finds a Prophet of Joseph's Seed" (PDF). Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 38 (3).
- Howard, Richard P. (1992), "Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS Church)", in Ludlow, Daniel H (ed.), Encyclopedia of Mormonism, New York: Macmillan Publishing, pp. 1211–1216, ISBN 0-02-879602-0, OCLC 24502140
- Doctrine and Covenants, Section 156 D&C Section 156
- "The Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - Presidency". Retrieved 9 July 2019.
- "Remnant Doctrine and Covenants section R-161".
- Roger D. Launius and Linda Thatcher, eds., Differing Visions: Dissenters in Mormon History (Illinois, 1998).
- William D. Russell, “Defenders of the Faith: Varieties of RLDS Dissent,” Sunstone 14, no. 3 (1990): 14-19.