|Regimental Sergeant Major of the Australian Army (RSM-A)|
|Style||Regimental Sergeant Major of the Army (Warrant Officer)|
|Inaugural holder||Wally Thompson|
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Army (RSM-A) is the most senior Warrant Officer in the Australian Army. It is a singular appointment – it is only held by one person at any time. RSM-A holds the unique rank of Warrant Officer (WO) which is senior to Warrant Officer Class One. The special insignia for the RSM-A is the Australian coat of arms with a wreath around it. The eleventh and current Regimental Sergeant Major of the Army is Grant MacFarlane.
The post was created by the then Chief of Army, Lieutenant General Sir Phillip Bennett.
|#||Name||Term began||Term ended||Notes|
|1||Wally Thompson||January 1983||January 1987|||
|2||Kevin (Lofty) Wendt||January 1987||December 1990|||
|3||Peter Prewett||January 1991||December 1993|||
|4||Arthur Francis||December 1993||December 1996|||
|5||Peter Rosemond||December 1996||March 2001|
|6||Brian Boughton||March 2001||19 December 2003|||
|7||Kevin Woods||19 December 2003||29 February 2008|||
|8||Stephen Ward||29 February 2008||4 October 2011|
|9||Dave Ashley||4 October 2011||9 July 2015|
|10||Donald Spinks||9 July 2015||2 July 2018|||
|11||Grant McFarlane||2 July 2018||Incumbent|
- Sergeant Major of the Army
- Army Sergeant Major
- Sergeant Major of the Army (Denmark)
- Sergeant Major of the Army (South Africa)
- "Regimental Sergeant Major of the Army". Our Leaders. Australian Army. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Tribute to Regimental Sergeant Major Wally Thompson, AO". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). New South Wales: Legislative Council. 13 June 2012. Archived from the original on 25 June 2014.
- "WO1 Wally Thompson, OAM farewelled". Australian Army. 2012. Archived from the original on 2 May 2013.
- Ryan, WO2 Wayne (16 November 2006). "Seven of the Best". Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- "?". Army News. 29 October 2009.
- Garland, Jonathan (27 March 2003). "Next RSM-A Named". Army: The Soldiers' Newspaper (1070 ed.). Canberra: Department of Defence. ISSN 0729-5685. Archived from the original on 4 June 2011.
- "Australia Day Awards". Army: The Soldiers' Newspaper (1090 ed.). Canberra: Department of Defence. 12 February 2004. ISSN 0729-5685. Archived from the original on 4 June 2011.
- "Army farewells ninth Regimental Sergeant Major – Army". Defence News and Media. Department of Defence. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
|This article about the military of Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|