|Directed by||Albert Brooks|
|Produced by||Penelope Spheeris|
|Written by||Albert Brooks
Frances Lee McCain
J. A. Preston
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Real Life is a 1979 American comedy film starring Albert Brooks (in his directorial debut), who also co-authored the screenplay. It is a spoof of the 1973 reality television program An American Family and portrays a documentary filmmaker named Albert Brooks who attempts to live with and film a dysfunctional family for one full year.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (May 2015)
Ordinary family man Warren Yeager and his wife Jeannette are delighted to have a documentary filmmaker, Albert Brooks, choose them for a new cinematic and "scientific" experiment—he intends to capture every waking moment of their daily life on film. It is a project Brooks confidently announces to a large gathering, even greeting them with a song.
The concept is for the Yeagers and their two children to go about their business at their Phoenix home, work and school as if nothing is different from a typical day, ignoring the fact that men wearing cameras that look like Star Wars helmets are recording every move they make and every word they say.
Brooks promises to be as unobtrusive as possible, taking up a separate residence in the neighborhood and promising not to interfere. Little by little, though, the stress of everyday life is complicated by the presence of the film crew. Brooks also becomes the unwitting object of Mrs. Yeager's attentions.
Yeager, a veterinarian, becomes grief-stricken when he is filmed accidentally causing a horse's death. A grandparent's death similarly upsets Jeannette. Soon the couple stops talking, becoming, as Brooks puts it, "lifeless" in their every day life. The unscrupulous man from Hollywood is likely to go to any lengths to make his film more interesting, even if it means dressing up as a clown to cheer them up or setting the Yeagers' house on fire.
- Albert Brooks as Albert Brooks
- Charles Grodin as Warren Yeager
- Frances Lee McCain as Jeannette Yeager
- J.A. Preston as Dr. Ted Cleary
- Matthew Tobin as Dr. Howard Hill
- Jennings Lang as Martin Brand
- David Spielberg as Dr. Jeremy Nolan
- Norman Bartold as Dr. Isaac Steven Hayward
- Julie Payne as Dr. Anne Kramer
- Johnny Haymer as Dr. Maxwell Rennert
- Leo McElroy as Jim Sanders
- Lisa Urette as Lisa Yeager
- Robert Stirrat as Eric Yeager
- "Real Life (1979) - Box Office Mojo". www.boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- Real Life on IMDb
- Real Life at AllMovie
- Real Life at the TCM Movie Database
- Real Life at Rotten Tomatoes
|This film article about a 1970s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|